Which laptop buy?(Macbook or other)

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Darwin22
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Which laptop buy?(Macbook or other)

Post by Darwin22 »

Hello, guys! i need powerful laptop for good working on resolume. Which buy macbook pro model? or buy other powerful laptop?(MSI, Asus may be?)

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Which laptop buy?(Macbook or other)

Post by Arvol »

Hi,
When you say powerful, what do you mean? 15 simultaneous layers of 4K playing across a composition of 15,360 X 2160, outputting to 3 sources?

I would think for most people a 6GB nVidia GTX1060 GPU, a solid state hard drive, 16GB of Ram, and a 6th-8th gen i7 would be a great machine to work off of.
Some might say that's a "powerful" machine.

In my opinion, you will get much more hardware and performance out of a PC than you ever will with a Mac (Much different than it use to be years ago).

This is a very subjective question as your needs may not be the same as mine. So it would be better to describe your day to day use, and also list your "biggest" show use, that may happen one or two times a year. This will help determine your needs vs wants. It will also help find a PC in your budget.
I've been running some very large shows (IMO) off a 6GB GTX1060 for about 2 years now. I didn't feel the GTX1080 offered that much more performance boost vs the GTX1060 for the price difference (about $2k), so for me, it was a needs vs want battle to find something that fit my budget well (especially when buying large quantities of machines). With that being said the new 8GB GTX1070 with Max-Q i just tested about doubled the performance of my GTX1060 and the GTX1080 I demo'd 2 years ago, and the machine with the 1070 is the same price as I paid for my current setup.

Just let us know what you do and your budget and I'll try my best to point you in the direction I would look at :)

Darwin22
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Darwin22 »

I work on medium show(and small events) but sometimes i work on big event(4-5 times/year). And of course on big events we use more led panels= need more powerful machine.(example. Rampage 2017). My budget 3k $ now.
What do you advise?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Darwin22 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:55 I work on medium show(and small events) but sometimes i work on big event(4-5 times/year). And of course on big events we use more led panels= need more powerful machine.(example. Rampage 2017). My budget 3k $ now.
What do you advise?
What do you consider big? Two 4K outputs? using 8-10 layers of 4K content?
Or something closer to 6-8 4K outputs with 20 layers of 4K content?

For most people, the GTX1060(6GB) - GTX1080(8GB) laptops can handle the first example just fine. But I have no idea what "you" consider big and what you need?
Could you list how many I/O's you would typically be using, How many layers of content you will be playing at once, What you composition resolution will typically be, and what output resolutions you will typically be sending?

This question will give many subjective answers, but without knowing what your needs are, I wouldn't want to start assuming what you would need :)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

If my memory serves correctly, Rampage 2017 was 3x 4k, two of which needed to be stitched, and 1 or 2 1080ps

It’s not undoable, but I’d raise an eyebrow if someone rolled up with a single laptop expecting to take over the whole rig. Maybe two eyebrows.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Thank Joris :D

IMO, If you're doing more than (2) 4K Output's at a show, You might want to use a rackmount build.
A lot of the laptop builds that have 2-3 outputs only actually have 1 of those outputs connected to the dedicated GPU, so you're not getting the full potential of your card since you're passing through the Intel GPU for screen control and setup. This can reduce performance a but, and at (2) 4K's and 1-2 1080P's, you'll be pushing your system pretty hard.

I would suggest a PC build with a GTX1080ti setup. SSD is a must, and a decent CPU (4-6 cores).
If you can wait a month or so, It would be interesting to see how the new 2000 series GPU perform against the 1000 series.