output to FX4 / dual monitors + what signals?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
newfuturenow
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

output to FX4 / dual monitors + what signals?

Post by newfuturenow »

For the past XX years I have been in the lucky position of working via a technical rider, contacting event production teams who know what they are doing in advance and making sure everything is set to go, for when myself and the artist I work with arrive for line checks.

Time to step up my game.. my next job has me overseeing a festivals visual content all night and solo. I am planing on sending my output to the LED screen on stage with the use of a datapath FX4. I will be outputting a signal from my 2017 MBP (or I could use my 2015 MBP that never fails..) to the datapath FX4 which will split this into 4 different sections for seperate LED panels.

My first setback is how to set up Resolume to output to the datapath FX4 https://vimeo.com/199456011 (thanks Oaktown)
AND also output the complete composition to one seperate monitor for my preview front of house.
It is the 2nd seperate monitor that I am having difficulty with configuring in the resolume advance panel, is the only way to have more hardware between my MBP and the FX4?

My second setback is cables.. Outputing my signal from my front of house MBP to the data path FX4 back stage, I have been told SDI / fibre optic and I am not certain.

There will be a technical team on hand, but I would like to know what you guys suggest. I need my touring MBP set up to become something that is going to get me through the night with no hassles.. Thanks!
Last edited by newfuturenow on Fri Oct 19, 2018 21:16, edited 2 times in total.

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: output to FX4 / dual monitors + what signals?

Post by Empyfree »

What resolution are you hoping to send backstage? This will impact suggestions for cable/solutions.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

My first setback is how to set up Resolume to output to the datapath FX4 https://vimeo.com/199456011 (thanks Oaktown)
AND also output the complete composition to one seperate monitor for my preview front of house.
It is the 2nd seperate monitor that I am having difficulty with configuring in the resolume advance panel, is the only way to have more hardware between my MBP and the FX4?
All you need to do is create two screens, connect one to your FX4 and one to your local preview monitor. Not sure what your breakdown will be for the FX4 but your local preview monitor will cover the whole comp so that you can see everything.
My second setback is cables.. Outputing my signal from my front of house MBP to the data path FX4 back stage, I have been told SDI / fibre optic and I am not certain.
6G SDI is fine if you're working in SMPTE resolutions but otherwise you can use fiber optic or HDBasetT. I personally like to use HDBaseT if the distance is within range. Here is a good HDBaseT kit for the FX4: https://www.gefen.com/product/4k-ultra- ... -UHDA-HBT2 since it allows you to push both signal (4K/60 4:2:0 or 4K/30 4:4:4) and ethernet so that you can still control your Datapath from a distance.

newfuturenow
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by newfuturenow »

Thanks for the suggestions folks, the HDBaseT 2.0 definitely looks the way to go, I will see what I can find although I am living in Brazil at the moment and high end technology is always a limiting factor.
Ideas are developing and now the organiser would like a secondary space outside with projected visuals. What do you think? Would it be possible to run a stage LED screen array and extend to a secondary projected display from a single pixel map / datapath FX4 / display out / from my MBP 1080p? Would there be a more efficient solution without me having to install an additional VJ desk?