macbook based hardware

Bro, does your rig even lift?
zgorzelec
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

macbook based hardware

Post by zgorzelec »

I want to buy a setup that allows me to input two video sources into a Macbook pro and allows me to run three outputs. My questions: does a Radeon Pro Vega graphics card make sense? (I haven't´purchased the Macbook yet). Which hardware would you recommend for in- and outputs? I want to connect two livecams and output to three beamer (HDMI) which occasionally are placed about 10-40 m apart from my setup.
Any help appreciated!

zgorzelec

Re: macbook based hardware

Post by zgorzelec »

If I use two BMD mini-recorders or two Maxwell USB Capture HDMI for input and three USB3 to HDMI adapters (including a thunderbolt doc) for three individual outputs- would this be possible with a new MacBook pro?
Are the Radeon Pro Vega graphic cards necessary / helpful at all? As far as I know, they throttle down at a certain temperature…

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

I’ve never used more than one input card, so can’t really offer advice on that element. I have heard of people using an external pci enclosure to hold one of the larger Blackmagic cards.

On the output side you’ve got lots of options. Do you need to create a blend or are the projections physically separate?

If physically separate you can use a variety of USB C to hdmi adaptors or docks to create multiple HDMI outputs.

If synchronisation is important I (along with many others!) would suggest a Datapath Fx4. You could use a cable such as this one

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLR6 ... port-cable

straight into the FX4 and then create up to four fully synced HD outputs. Please note I haven’t got such a modern Mac myself, and so haven’t tested that cable, it’s just the one that apple reccomends!

zgorzelec

Post by zgorzelec »

Thank you for your answer! Does the Datapath FX4 also allow individual outputs or does resolume always see it´s outputs as one large one?
Another question: if I scale and position three individual clips in a way that they are next to each other in the output monitor and then use three outputs with the Datapath in a way that it sends these three clips to three beamers- is there a difference in quality / resolution compared to three clips sent to individual outputs?
(I hope this question makes sense…)

Empyfree

Post by Empyfree »

I don’t believe there’s any loss of quality, and the bonus is that they are perfectly in sync.

To answer the first part of your question, your Mac, and the “output transform” side of Arenas advanced output will see the Datapath as a single display. (You would set the EDID of the Datapath to be 3840x2160 in order to have space for up to four HD outputs. On the Input side you can position things however you wish!

zgorzelec

Post by zgorzelec »

That sounds promising- thank you for your help!

zgorzelec

Post by zgorzelec »

Still there is one question: does a Radeon Pro Vega graphics card make sense on a MacBook Pro 2017 for use with resolume? Is it worth the money?

Empyfree

Post by Empyfree »

I don’t recall anybody testing one yet (and announcing it!). You might be the first to report back!

joshuatanuseputra
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by joshuatanuseputra »

I would recommend a Vega 64 on an E-gpu enclosure.