Resolume/Watchout or Resolume/Datapath???????

Bro, does your rig even lift?
VjRoh
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Resolume/Watchout or Resolume/Datapath???????

Post by VjRoh »

Hi All,

I have been following this forum for quite sometime now and I have bought Resolume Arena throught the Black Friday Sale.... YAYYYYY!!!!!

Users like Oaktown have been doing a world of good on these forums by replying to most of the queries by various users.

When i read the posts, I see a lot of resolume used with Datapath or Matrox, but back here in India for corporate gigs, Everyone uses watchout and resolume on top of that.
I was wondering why?? If someone could let me know why it is the case? Is it because Watchout is much more hardware failsafe or people dont know much about Resolume outout capabilities??
I want to know why?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :) :)

P.S: My first post on Resolume forum. :)

kevin
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Resolume/Watchout or Resolume/Datapath???????

Post by kevin »

VjRoh wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 17:47 Hi All,

I have been following this forum for quite sometime now and I have bought Resolume Arena throught the Black Friday Sale.... YAYYYYY!!!!!

Users like Oaktown have been doing a world of good on these forums by replying to most of the queries by various users.

When i read the posts, I see a lot of resolume used with Datapath or Matrox, but back here in India for corporate gigs, Everyone uses watchout and resolume on top of that.
I was wondering why?? If someone could let me know why it is the case? Is it because Watchout is much more hardware failsafe or people dont know much about Resolume outout capabilities??
I want to know why?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :) :)

P.S: My first post on Resolume forum. :)
Hi,
I am also newbie in this forum, learn from Oaktown and some expert guys a lot.
As I knew and have some experience on Resolume:
- Watchout have output not like Resolume, each output is output, you cannot create slides on this output. For Ex if you have 1 output 4K, in Watchout you only use and adjust grid on this output but with Resolume output 4K you can make 4 slides FullHD and combine with Datapath FX4 you will have 4 output FullHD independence.
- Resolume out capabilities depend the performance of your GPU, the resolution also same.

Pls see my project have just done a few weeks ago with the resolution 28K x 1080 and combine 14 projectors with Resolume: https://youtu.be/CA9jrSzZIuk

Some sharing, thanks,

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

My $.02!

I don't know that Watchout is necessarily more hardware failsafe considering you end up with many computers which introduces more hardware to go wrong but I think people typically spend more time and effort building the right servers for Watchout.

We have both Dataton Watchout and Resolume Arena available to deploy but I personally use Arena 95% of the time because of the software flexibility and ease of installation. As far as I'm concerned, the main advantages of Watchout would be that it's timeline based, can handle UV mapping and that you can expand a system by adding more display computers but considering you can create massive installations with Arena if you plan it right that rarely gets to be the deciding factor for me. On the other end, Arena allows for way more creativity that Watchout and has amazing 2D mapping capabilities.

One thing important to keep in mind is that the Watchout and Arena are marketed to different segments and it's a lot easier to sell Watchout to a medium to large corporate client (at least in the US) because it costs more to implement! I know a few of us here in the US that use Arena regularly very succesfuly for large shows where failure is not an option so at the end of the day it's really a matter of preference!

Now with the availability of NDI on both platforms, I can see how one would choose to deploy both Watchout and Arena side by side to use the best of each software in combination.

VjRoh

Post by VjRoh »

Thanks Oaktown for your response.

I am an event manager who has got interested in the AV side of events and now learning Resolume and how to get the hardware right. Have few questions and will be awesome if you could help with reply.

Scenario: I have 3-4 laptop inputs and 3-4 Camera inputs and have a Led Wall with 4-6 outputs.

Question 1) Is it true that it is preferred to have a Desktop Tower than a high end laptop to run the above scenario, because of what i have read, most have written that its better to have all the connections in a single tower than having quite a few adapters connected to a laptop.??

Question 2) I am into corporate events and the scenario i have given is the most common gig i work on, Can you suggest me a PC build for Resoume Arena for the same?

Question 3 ) I am still leaning towards getting a reply that " Laptop can run smoothly for the scenario provided) . If laptops can run, can you help with the hardwares required to execute the given scenario.

You have made life's of budding and interested poeple like me lives easier.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

VjRoh wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 08:10 Thanks Oaktown for your response.

I am an event manager who has got interested in the AV side of events and now learning Resolume and how to get the hardware right. Have few questions and will be awesome if you could help with reply.

Scenario: I have 3-4 laptop inputs and 3-4 Camera inputs and have a Led Wall with 4-6 outputs.

Question 1) Is it true that it is preferred to have a Desktop Tower than a high end laptop to run the above scenario, because of what i have read, most have written that its better to have all the connections in a single tower than having quite a few adapters connected to a laptop.??

Question 2) I am into corporate events and the scenario i have given is the most common gig i work on, Can you suggest me a PC build for Resoume Arena for the same?

Question 3 ) I am still leaning towards getting a reply that " Laptop can run smoothly for the scenario provided) . If laptops can run, can you help with the hardwares required to execute the given scenario.

You have made life's of budding and interested poeple like me lives easier.

Resolume is a power full Media Server Software, but what you need is a differnt kind of Hardware.

Theoreticly Arena can do all what you want to get. Powerfull machine & lots of capture Cards.
But the proffessional way is a different.

The middle of all your signals shouldnt be Arena. The middle should be somekind of Image processing Hardware. Most comon ( in my world) are Barco e2 / s3 or AnalogWay Ascender / Nextstage.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

The middle of all your signals shouldnt be Arena. The middle should be somekind of Image processing Hardware. Most comon ( in my world) are Barco e2 / s3 or AnalogWay Ascender / Nextstage.
I totally agree! The Blackmagic ATEM 1 or 2 M/E production switchers are also great in combination with Arena. I usually feed Arena into the ATEM but you can always turn the system around and do the opposite by using the ATEM upstream of Arena and switching GFX and cameras into compositions.

VjRoh

Post by VjRoh »

Oaktown wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 20:36
I totally agree! The Blackmagic ATEM 1 or 2 M/E production switchers are also great in combination with Arena. I usually feed Arena into the ATEM but you can always turn the system around and do the opposite by using the ATEM upstream of Arena and switching GFX and cameras into compositions.
Thanks He2Neg & Oaktown, Just so that i am clear, i have psted 2 pics, option 1 is what i wanted but what you guys are suggesting is option 2 . My query in option 2 is , what if I have a wall in which i have a presentation and graphic and possible a live input feed to be projected. How will i be able to put different inputs in my resolume if it is going through a production switcher ..Image
Attachments
Guessing this what Oaktown you mean by placing a production swithcer in between
Guessing this what Oaktown you mean by placing a production swithcer in between
This is my scenario, have a led wall on which have graphics and 1 ppt and 1 live feed.
This is my scenario, have a led wall on which have graphics and 1 ppt and 1 live feed.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I’m actually suggesting Options 1 AND 2, all you need is a capture card in your Arena server (BMD Duo 2 or Quad 2 for instance). For instance, the BMD ATEM 1/ME has 1 main + 3 auxillary outputs (which would pair well with a Duo 2) and the 2M/E has 1 main + 6 auxillary outputs (which would pair well with the Quad 2) so you could feed multiple signals into your Arena comp or feed multiple screens from your Arena comp depending on which one is upstream and it’d be easy to flip.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

The Productions switcher not only switches between the different sources.
It can place multiple sources above each other / or side by side / or key something to overlay / etc / etc...

It somepoint it may be smart to get some source inside Arena and use it there and send the final result further.
What i dont recomend is:
Use resolume as a All-in-one Solution for getting all sources and alle files inside and only work in Arena.
In Theory it is possible.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~