Big Server Rig Advice Needed - Dissect away!

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Sarsippius
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Big Server Rig Advice Needed - Dissect away!

Post by Sarsippius »

Hey all

New to the forum, longtime user. I run video for a lot of festivals and sporting events. The scale of my media server needs range from multi projection blends, to mega LED festival rigs, to simple single wall ballroom flash and trash. I have been operating this past year with a very capable Alienware 17 loaded that has not let me down, however it is time to expand without expanding all over the desktops and build a couple of server racks capable of handling everything I throw at it and growing my output options. I havent built a PC in over 10 years and havent stayed current so hardware has obviously changed and im just a bit hesitant to pull the trigger in regards to what choices I have made. Ive searched high and wide for advice and wanted to post here to run this up the resolume tree and see if anyone has any advice. I have 3 days to pull the trigger and purchase. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Both Servers will be identical - main and backup configurations for big show. Can split up for small shows.
These machines want to be stout and handle a wide array of needs but will be dedicated only for resolume arena 6 usage. I will not be doing any unnecessary overclocking perhaps my choices are overkill and if so I would like to know, but i do want it to have all the horsepower it needs and run as quiet as possible for my smaller indoor shows.

My shopping cart looks like this:

EVGA X299 Dark Motherboard (Not a gamer - do i need anything more?)

Intel core i9-7920x 12core up to 4.3ghz Processor (more cores? Enough speed? what does resolume want? not planning to overclock just want the big engine)

Noctua NH-D15 HSF CPU Cooler (scared to go liquid in a tour rack - is this enough had lot of good reviews for i9 - know any better?)

GSkill TridentZ (4x) 8gb 3600mhz RAM (Is there a better suggestion for speed or brand?)

Samsung 970 EVO Pro 512gb M.2 NVMe ssd (OS)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb M.2 NVMe ssd (Storage)

EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 GPU (Is there any reason to use rtx 2080 for resolume? is this one even overkill? Cant tell if Black version will work for me the same if its worth the extra $300+ I just need 3x 4k outputs and dependability)

EVGA Supernova 850w modular power supply (seems quietest but is it enough power?)

Again thanks in advance and i welcome any and all advice, critique, or confirmations. Will be expected to handle a large music festival running for 4 days non stop in July.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Big Server Rig Advice Needed - Dissect away!

Post by Arvol »

Focus on lower cpu core counts with a higher base clock speed. (unless the higher core count CPUs also have a higher base clock speed)

32-64 gb is good to give you room for expansion. (16gb works juuuust fine as well)

M.2 ssd's. (good call on the Samsung's)

Gtx1080ti (no advantage of rtx atm. And their drivers are shotty at best)

How many outputs do you need at what resolutions?

Tbh. Laptops will have these specs, so mobility can be added to your setup now