How to confidently avoid becoming victim to Optimus?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
seakos
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

How to confidently avoid becoming victim to Optimus?

Post by seakos »

Hey all,

First post here but I am an active poster on the Resolume FB group as well as VJ Union Global. It's come time that I need to upgrade to a new laptop and through all the digging on the facebook groups and this forum, I haven't been able to come to a solid conclusion on which product to go with. The reviews are mixed all around and it seems like there is no clear answer on which laptop to go with. The typical answer is "go Clevo or Sager" or "avoid MSi" or "My alienware f*cking crushes it". And given all this, I have looked into Clevo - specifically the P970RF with a RTX 2070 Max-Q. Sales support with AVA Direct told me that there is no clear path to disabling Optimus on these new Clevo laptops.

So, what do I do? I can't find it in me to dump $2-3k on a laptop based on a prayer that it'll cooperate with Resolume out of the box, or at least without a known solution to disabling Optimus.

Is there any list of laptop models that are not victims of the Intel/Nvidia/Windows10 havoc? I just want to spend my money and have a product that works. It seems to me that Resolume should take some responsibility and present some list of fully compatible products that work with their software.

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: How to confidently avoid becoming victim to Optimus?

Post by Grimm90 »

well if it might be of any help , i got one of those "avoid MSI" with optimus on it , no way to disable it at all.

It drove me crazy, but the second monitor as primary monitor workaround did work ok.
I eventually dual booted with a win7 install, and when ran resolume in win7, no issues what so ever..
Somewhere last year after the fall creators update for win10 , i updated my win10 & tried again there, haven't had a optimus issue since..

By now did play over 20 shows on win10, with i guess optimus lurking somewhere, on a 1070maxq.
2 full hd outputs and tons of layers are fine, and i can use the USBC (thunderbolt) to HDMI adapter , but that will take a fps hit so i try to avoid that..