Macbook Pro 16" Which specs to go for?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
kroyert
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Macbook Pro 16" Which specs to go for?

Post by kroyert »

Hi, I need som advice on what specs i need for my MBP 16"
I need a MBP able to handel Resolume just fine, but most important being reliable during show.

Would the base 6 core i7 be reliable or is it worth it to go for the "base" i9?

Side note: I also do a lot of photo editing through a year (not on a daily basis, but around 3000 photos a year). Including som 1080p video editing

Thanks.

modemayo
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Macbook Pro 16" Which specs to go for?

Post by modemayo »

Hi, i'm in the same situation, i constantly use Qlab in my work so I need a Macbook pro and I would like to know also if the new model works well with Resolume. I'm thinking in the base model, I would like to use three outputs in full hd at the same time, for more outputs I would consider using a fx4 datapath or an egpu.
Thanks

Jgrover
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Jgrover »

there isn’t enough data yet to say. I have the 15” 2019 with the i9 and I would definitely have preferred a faster GPU in retrospect.

It mainly depends on the thermals I think. If the 2016 has much better heat dissipation then you may be able to run more cpu intensive tasks on Resolume. I regularly see my i9 between 200-350% utilIzation while running Resolume with other stuff open in the background.

Certainly if you plan on running other programs at the same time it should be useful.

Also if you do a lot of video editing, and rendering, but again more RAM or a better GPU should probably take a front seat to the i7->i9 upgrade.

Bassindaniel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Bassindaniel »

Sadly so far I'm very disappointed with the MBP 16" (i9, 5500m 8gb, 32 RAM) performance comparing it with my old Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700k, gtx 960m 16 RAM).

Overall fps is slower.
UI is less smooth.
NDI output is very pixelated when output having a lot of movement.

beside it, ADOBE CC is amazing.