UI and output resolution

Bro, does your rig even lift?
promosa
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

UI and output resolution

Post by promosa »

Hi,

We are seeing an issue where we believe that resolume is up-scaling the output to 4K from 1080 when our UI is on a 1080 monitor. Is this how it functions? I know that running your UI at a different frame rate from your output is an issue.

Thanks,
Matt

boris.lema
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: UI and output resolution

Post by boris.lema »

Hey,
maybe you have the same problem as me?
check this post?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19356

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

What is your Windows scaling set to? Make it 100%

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

4k composition with 4k clips to 4k output, or 1080p composition to 4k output?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

promosa
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by promosa »

4K output, 4K composition, 100% windows scaling.

What it seems to be is that when Resolume is launched it will pick the resolution of 'Display 1' if that happens to be your output then you are set and everything will run properly. If 'Display 1' is your computer monitor it will take that resolution and the upscale the output to match.

Since as far as I can tell regular consumer cards don't link their physical outputs to anything in windows this can change every time you launch Resolume. So It can work perfectly one day and then the next everything is fucked up even though nothing has changed at all.

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

promosa wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 20:07 Since as far as I can tell regular consumer cards don't link their physical outputs to anything in windows this can change every time you launch Resolume. So It can work perfectly one day and then the next everything is fucked up even though nothing has changed at all.
What kind of card are you using? Almost every card out there has a port priority built in. They may not post these in the specs but you can find the correct order to plug in displays. Normally the series of cards mostly follow the same priority (2x series, 1x series, 9 series etc)

Take the 2080 for example:
https://forums.evga.com/Video-Port-Prio ... 72959.aspx

If this is a server that moves around, I recommend labeling the ports so you can always plug stuff back in correct order. Even if you use all the same equipment every time, if you plug in an external device to a different port, it will most likely change the port order, because the the external device ID is associated with another port now.

Inside windows display settings, make sure you have the proper monitor set to "make this my main display". Also, the scale and layout percentage is a per display setting, not a system wide setting, so you have to make sure to change each display to 100%.

Also inside NVIDIA control panel I normally go to "Adjust size and position" and change the scaling mode to "No scaling", set perform scaling on to "GPU". The only devices I leave as "Aspect Ratio" and "Display" are converters that perform scaling internally (something like hdmi to sdi or dvi to sdi converters)

I run this kind of setup on a regular basis, so it seems odd that your settings are constantly resetting.

boris.lema
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by boris.lema »

dirtyjohn_lv wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 19:39
promosa wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 20:07 Since as far as I can tell regular consumer cards don't link their physical outputs to anything in windows this can change every time you launch Resolume. So It can work perfectly one day and then the next everything is fucked up even though nothing has changed at all.
What kind of card are you using? Almost every card out there has a port priority built in. They may not post these in the specs but you can find the correct order to plug in displays. Normally the series of cards mostly follow the same priority (2x series, 1x series, 9 series etc)

Take the 2080 for example:
https://forums.evga.com/Video-Port-Prio ... 72959.aspx

If this is a server that moves around, I recommend labeling the ports so you can always plug stuff back in correct order. Even if you use all the same equipment every time, if you plug in an external device to a different port, it will most likely change the port order, because the the external device ID is associated with another port now.

Inside windows display settings, make sure you have the proper monitor set to "make this my main display". Also, the scale and layout percentage is a per display setting, not a system wide setting, so you have to make sure to change each display to 100%.

Also inside NVIDIA control panel I normally go to "Adjust size and position" and change the scaling mode to "No scaling", set perform scaling on to "GPU". The only devices I leave as "Aspect Ratio" and "Display" are converters that perform scaling internally (something like hdmi to sdi or dvi to sdi converters)

I run this kind of setup on a regular basis, so it seems odd that your settings are constantly resetting.
So than you recommend connecting ui monitor on 1 and 2-3-4-.... led processor/projector? Or am I wrong?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

promosa wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 20:07 4K output, 4K composition, 100% windows scaling.

What it seems to be is that when Resolume is launched it will pick the resolution of 'Display 1' if that happens to be your output then you are set and everything will run properly. If 'Display 1' is your computer monitor it will take that resolution and the upscale the output to match.
I've tried to recreate the issue with different resolution UI and output displays, without success.
On my 4k Display output with both 4k UI and 1080pUI, all at 100% scaling, from a 4k composition, my output looks the same to the pixel. (checked with the Resolume test card)
Tested on an Alienware laptop, internal display connected to Intel GPU, external to Nvidia.

Could you check this with a 4k monitor as output and send us some screenshots on the output, and pictures of the actual display showing the issue?

Maybe that would give us a pointer to be able to recreate.
Thanks!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu