New 16" Macbook Pro W 8Gb AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Intange
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

New 16" Macbook Pro W 8Gb AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Post by Intange »

Considering picking this up. Does anyone have experience with this GPU (AMD Radeon Pro5500M 8Gb GDDR6 memory) and Resolume Arena. It has 4 Thunderbolt 3. I would maybe run 2 -4K into 2 Datapath FX4s for 8 2K outputs.

Thanks guys

Mastoy_BG
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: New 16" Macbook Pro W 8Gb AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Post by Mastoy_BG »

I'm also very interested in thoughts and reviews regarding Resolume about the latest 16" macbook. Apple says on their website that it is able to support FOUR 4K60hz displays simultaneously, so theoretically it would be able to run 4 Datapaths FX4. I doubt it would run smoothly regarding the fact that there would be some advanced output manipulations in place in such scenario, but even with 2 or 3 datapath connected would be great.

I'm currently coming from mid 2014 model, the last one with Nvidia graphics and I can feel it slowly giving up on the tasks I want it to undertake, so I'm also considering the 16" macbook as a adequate replacement.

If anybody already owns it, please give us your thoughts about it regarding Resolume and multi-screen output. Thanks.

jaydeeshow
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by jaydeeshow »

Hi guys,
Any news on this topic?

daan.hzndnk
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by daan.hzndnk »

Hi! I have an iMac 2020 8-core i7 with Radeon 5500XT GPU.
I don't know yet about the performance since I've been running into issues with the GPU and the HDCP handshaking resulting in a stuttering video output on all screens every 2-3 seconds.

There are a lot of threads on the Apple forum about it but no fixes has been done yet.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251766223
This means when I connect a non-HDCP device to my iMac it stutters the video output.
Same is happening with the 5500M GPU (all threads are about the 5500M).
I will do some performance testing with 2x 4k output in the future and will report back. For the iMac that's the maximum amount of displays as I know of.
I know the 5500XT is not the very same as the 5500M but they are kinda the same I guess?

Update: I tried several video adapters, they were all stuttering (including the Apple multiport AV adapter and others from the brand DELOCK). Then I got my hands on a dutch branded adapter called ALLTEQ USB C TO HDMI - HQ KABEL (allekabels.nl) and those cables brought me 4k60 (the others maxed out at 4k30) AND they stopped the stuttering while connecting to a DECIMATOR 12G CROSS. I was speechless. :shock:

xandaxanda
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by xandaxanda »

Hey there! Hope this insight helps.

I have a 2019 MBP 2.4 8 core i9 with AMD Radeon 5500M 8gb.
The last show I did was a single 4k output and i ran into some overheating which resulted in some stutter/dropped frames. The computer was also running very hot due to the environment and I normally have 3+ layers going at once.

Sidenote though, even at home when running two 1080p displays as additional monitors, my MBP is constantly in the 70 C range. As much as i love MBP and the user interface, I am looking to get a ASUS/ACER/Alienware laptop. To much stress in the live event world to have to deal with overheating!!

Also would love any additional input anybody has.

-X