PC Monitor Question

Bro, does your rig even lift?
mcstrepta
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

PC Monitor Question

Post by mcstrepta »

Hey guys, I have just bit the bullet and gone out and bought a brand new PC to help me run resolume arena along with my dj software. Im looking at getting a nice show going with my music and visuals combined. I bought a gaming PC second hand with the following specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: RTX 2070 GeForce
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 500GB

I have an external SSD with 1TB to store all of my clips on

The PC didn't come with a monitor so I am looking at getting a dual monitor setup so that I can run both resolume on one screen and the output on another. I will use my laptop screen as a third monitor for my DJ software (Serato). Im not sure what type of monitor/monitors to get that will be good for resolume. I have looked at gaming monitors for the RTX 2070 GPU that I have an obviously I can spend a lot of money but if all that I am using it for is the resolume output then what sort of specs should I be looking at?

The other monitor can just be a standard HD monitor that I will use for normal day to day computer stuff as well as a secondary output when I want to play around with 2 output screens in resolume (so it would also be handy to get something reasonable to be able to give a nice output) Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

mcstrepta

Re: PC Monitor Question

Post by mcstrepta »

My budget is modest because I want to get 2 monitors here. But I want to make sure that I get something decent enough to represent the hardware and software that I have. Hope that this isn't too vague for you. Thanks

mcstrepta

Post by mcstrepta »

A few things that night help you guide me on the right path.

Gaming monitors are generally have a TN panel and they have high refresh rates. For vjing am I better to go for an ips panel?

What sort of refresh rates do you guys have/ recommend?

Thanks again for any help/advice that you might have

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

For VJing I dont need a very good refreshrate or color accuracy i just need to see anything ;)

just a normal monitor wihtout anything special works for me...
Resolution is the only think i care about... and maybe brightness if i know i need to use it at a bright place.

I had some moments were everything on my screen look awsome but the projection wasnt as good and it looks crap ;) so allways look at the result and not at your source
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

RooTxBeeR

Post by RooTxBeeR »

I am not super Versed in this is others are in professional world. I've got some decent knowledge for gaming and hardware on general so I would like to think refresh rates and color accuracy are still important. Imo I think an ips is better of a TN panel because ips have better clarity at side angles VS clarity only directly infront of it. Also have to consider where and how people would see it. If they only have 1 angle to really see. From, then it won't matter.