Outdoor projectors

Bro, does your rig even lift?
ReZiNaT3d
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Outdoor projectors

Post by ReZiNaT3d »

Looking to buy a projector that would be good for outdoor events, partially during g the day but mainly at night... we ran a Epson 5500 lumen projector at around 60 feet away for our last show and it was ok but not as brights as I want and it didn't have any lens attachments or anything like that... I can move the projector if needed but it would be nice to stay about 50 to 60 feet away, were projectiong on a stage built on scaffold so I'd say the projection are would be around 8 ft by 12ft but I do plan on doubling the projection width here soon.. I've been looking at the optoma wu615t and I like the results I'm getting on the calculator but it doesn't have detachable lenses or have I been able to see the product in person... budget is around 2.5-4k.. what would yall recommend at this price range?

ReZiNaT3d

Re: Outdoor projectors

Post by ReZiNaT3d »

Bump

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

Sorry nobody replied so far. I’m guessing a lot of people did the same as me...

Read your post, thought “no chance” and then moved on!

You’ll always struggle outdoors if you’re competing with sunlight. I’ve got 10 and 12k lumen projectors in stock and I would never consider using one in the day. However you did say that your Epson 5500 lumen projector was “ok but not as bright as you’d like” so there’s obviously some room for improvement.

Given your budget I would heartily recommend making friends with your nearby AV rental house and seeing if they will let you try out some of their stock. You’ll probably be able to rent a much more powerful unit than you could afford to buy.

Finally, don’t rush to double your projection width. The maths involved means your image will only appear one quarter as bright as you’re used to.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I don't do projectors, strictly LED wall. Sorry no advice from me but I have read this twice so I'm hoping others will chime in.

ReZiNaT3d

Post by ReZiNaT3d »

Greatly appreciate the input.. I think you're right, I've been looking at the local av shops around town and plan on going in shop soon, it's real hard to know what I'm getting without seeing some in person results... that being said it is going to be an indoor/outdoor fixture but the outdoor venue will only be lit up during dusk/night time hours, I'm not really concerned with day time operation, more so solid fl at around 40"- 60" projector distance. Would really like to get something able to attach lenses to