n00b output help needed

Bro, does your rig even lift?
lavabrain
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

n00b output help needed

Post by lavabrain »

Hi guys, need some help with my first proper visuals show set up for a friends band this weekend.

Have just been sent the tech specs:

LED Wall 40 x 500 x 500 5.8mm pitch panels arranged in 5x2m configuration
Visuals: Coolux media server (standard player), BlackMagic ATEM Vision Switcher, LED Processor/Scaler/Sender, HDbaseT link to stage for VDJs

I am running:
Macbook Pro macOS Mojave 10.14.16
Resolume Avenue 7.2.1
Akai APC40

Would I just run HDMI out from laptop into HDMI in on the BlackMagic switcher, select that as the output and select the channel on the switcher and should work fine? Or is it more complicated than that with the media server involved?

Also would it be worth asking the screen ratio or size? As I have my project set to 1920x1080. I'm guessing that's the LED wall mentioned. Will this sizing on my project work properly?

Thank you for your help in advance, I am still getting my head around going into something more complicated than a projector :D
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-20 at 16.50.05.png

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: n00b output help needed

Post by He2neg »

You are the "guestVJ"?

Then go and ask this question to the venue.... i mean just the question about resolution. The ATEM is running on 1920x1080 (for 99% sure;) )

The rest is so simple as you said.

The system is allready there so you can just come with your machine and plug it in...
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

They most likely have a scaler so you would send a 720p or 1080i signal to the BMD switcher that would then run to the scaler.

A 5.8(ish)mm panel (500mmX500mm) is typically 84px Wide X 84px Tall.
So the physical pixel count of that video wall is going to be about:
840px Wide X 336px Tall
Which is a 5:2 aspect ratio.

So that is well under the 720p working space. If they have a pixel map then they don't have a scaler on site. Have the local tech help you integrate in and be sure to check that you are sending a Full RGB signal and not a limited one so your blacks are true black and not grey.

Have fun

lavabrain
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by lavabrain »

Thanks both for your helpful replies :)

Looks like they have a scaler in their set up, so just to confirm I send a 720 or 1080 composition to the the switcher, the scaler's job is to convert it to the aspect ratio of the screen?

I'm only double checking as I'm a bit concerned when you mention the 5:2 ratio, as my output will be 16:9. I haven't used a scaler and a venue once had a similarly thin aspect ratio screen and no scaler and I had to adjust all my clips or else they would get cut off.

Unfortunately I will only have a couple of minutes to plug in and go and no time to test, so trying to ensure I will have the right set up ready to go.

Thanks again.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Contact the venue's production manager. He knows hi system and can answer any questions you would have. Anything we provide here is pure speculation :)