Need new rig - Leaving MBP for PC - HELP ME<3

Bro, does your rig even lift?
xandaxanda
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Need new rig - Leaving MBP for PC - HELP ME<3

Post by xandaxanda »

Hello all!!

I currently have a 2019 MBP i9 AMD 5500m 8gb and as much as I love my MBP, we all know that most PC laptop rigs will blow it out of the water!! It seemed to struggle with (1) 4k output with 5+ layers and effects at the last show (overheating), so I am over it! I searched over the forums but couldn't find my exact request.

In the near future I will be doing (2) 4k outputs and need a laptop that will not give me any problems. I have enough stress as it is and the last thing I need is my computer failing, am i right :lol:

My workflow in Resolume normally consists of a 40-60min file as the background video, with another 4-6 other layers going on top. Most effects are done before Resolume, but I do use a few here and there.

I was looking at getting and i9 with a RTX 3080, is this overkill? Again, i would rather have overkill then limit my creativity.
As time goes on, I am sure I will run into situations where I need more than 2 outputs, will I need to get a datapath or can I run 2-3 HDMI outs from the one laptop?

I appreciate all of your help!!

-X

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Need new rig - Leaving MBP for PC - HELP ME<3

Post by resolumejunkie »

Air-cooled mobile GPUs are not designed for that level of sustained performance.

Get yourself a workstation with a water block cooling system for your GPU.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I just picked up a new Razer Blade 15" with a 3080 and LOVE it! I've had the older 2080 and 1070 model blades as well, never have had any major issues with them in the 6-7 years I've owned them (I own about 15). So I can vouch for those laptops. VERY good performance for Resolume. Sager and asus are ok options as well if you want to save a little $$ but I can't comment on their cooling.

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Properly optimized software runs faster on a cheaper Apple M1 than a Razer 15 with 3080. Of course, non-optimized software is a bit of a wash. M1 is still way cheaper, tho!

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/09420 ... emiere-pro

Cannot recommend M1 for Resolume, though, as it's far far far from being optimized....

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 01:50 I just picked up a new Razer Blade 15" with a 3080 and LOVE it!
Can you get 3x 4K outputs, each with 5 layers on them, in Resolume?

That's what the original poster asked for.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

M1 is NOT better than a 3080 machine as the M1 has NO dedicated GPU and NO support for PCIe lanes. This conversation feels like beating a dead horse by now.....

Yes the Razers do (3) 4K outputs, I'll let you do a quick google to confirm that ;)

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 15:10 M1 is NOT better than a 3080 machine as the M1
I didn't say better. I said faster. If you take the time to visit the DPreview site that compares Final Cut Pro performance on the M1 to Adobe Premiere Pro's performance on the Razor 15 with 3080, the M1 whoops the 3080 machine.

I, too, feel like this conversation is beating a dead horse.

I'll say it again:

with properly optimized software, the M1 is faster than the Razer 15 with 3080.

Also, why did you only respond to this thread until after I did? This is a trend. Threads go unanswered. Then, I answer. Then, you answer after me. What's your deal?

Is the thermal performance-per-watt of Nvidia significantly better than AMD? If not, then why do you think a 3080 will perform significantly better in the same thermal envelope as an AMD 5500M, when the AMD 5500M is overheating?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Given the stated problem is overheating, and Nvidia performance-per-watt isn't significantly better than AMD, I still stand by my recommendation for a workstation instead of a laptop.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

xandaxanda wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 19:33 It seemed to struggle with (1) 4k output with 5+ layers and effects at the last show (overheating),
When was the last time you cleaned the fans? ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

I'm going to reply in-line to help organize this.

"M1 is NOT better than a 3080 machine as the M1"
I didn't say better. I said faster. If you take the time to visit the DPreview site that compares Final Cut Pro performance on the M1 to Adobe Premiere Pro's performance on the Razor 15 with 3080, the M1 whoops the 3080 machine.
I've probably done more research on this than you have by debating you and others on why it's not better... It's a glorified cellphone processor that has NO dedicated GPU and NO support for external PCIe. The apps you listed do not use the GPU and since the M1 doesn't have a dedicated GPU those apps are about as relevant as comparing the a simple text editor. Resolume is a GPU heavy application which is why the 3080 (or any dedicated GPU) will out perform it. You can debate this all you like but unfortunately you're wrong. ;) Also the only time the M1 will outperform non M1 machines is when those apps are specialty built for the M1, are dev's going to start building out their apps for individual processors as they get released? I can see there being 100 flavors of applications in the future because "x" brand is using "y" type of processor to be special and different than the other competitors... lol. In short, If your application was re-written just for the M1, and that application is CPU based and not dependent on GPU hardware, yes the M1 "could" be faster, if those conditions are not met, the M1 will lose out everyday.

Also, why did you only respond to this thread until after I did? This is a trend. Threads go unanswered. Then, I answer. Then, you answer after me. What's your deal?
You've been apart of this community for 51 days, I've been here for 5,845 days. I'm also one of the 4-6 people that reply on here and I'm actively providing tech support. Sorry I didn't beat you to answering this thread.... I was in a studio actually working for the past 5 days in LA and then had an entire day on a plane. Life happens, If you haven't noticed the "bigger" trend here, I respond to about 95% of all posts on this thread, it's something I check at least 4 times a day (as well as slack). So no, it's not just you. But a trend I have noticed about you is that you sure do love you some M1 and NDI (2 things that most people with paying clients won't use or trust their shows to, so you are defiantly in the minority here with your opinions.)

Is the thermal performance-per-watt of Nvidia significantly better than AMD? If not, then why do you think a 3080 will perform significantly better in the same thermal envelope as an AMD 5500M, when the AMD 5500M is overheating?
The 3080 Razer uses vapor chamber technology as well as using the full aluminum case as a part of the heat distribution process. MBP does neither (which is a big part in why their cooling has always been an issue).

Given the stated problem is overheating, and Nvidia performance-per-watt isn't significantly better than AMD, I still stand by my recommendation for a workstation instead of a laptop.
Given my experience, if you have a professional laptop with proper cooling (like a Razer for example), overheating isn't an issue. I've used these machine for 16+ hours a day, for 5+ days in a row, outside, uncovered in direct sunlight with temps well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I couldn't even touch the case it was so hot from the sun, and I was still pushing (2) 4K outputs at 60fps with a LOT of FX active. No issues. So laptops are more than capable of doing what the OP has asked, maybe just not for the Mac fanboys though ;) (I actually keep an ice chest at FOH full of bags of ice, just for when we have MBP users coming to our stages. They always need them, otherwise it's 12fps for them all show. True story. I've lost count after 35 how many times I've had to pull out the ice for mac users).

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 20:30
xandaxanda wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 19:33 It seemed to struggle with (1) 4k output with 5+ layers and effects at the last show (overheating),
When was the last time you cleaned the fans? ;)
^ This :)