New M1 mac

Bro, does your rig even lift?
resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

New M1 mac

Post by resolumejunkie »

The new M1 Max can play 30 4K ProRes files back at the same time. I humbly suggest you may not need DXV.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: DXV Preview's on Finder Mac " When... "

Post by Arvol »

resolumejunkie wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 19:25 The new M1 Max can play 30 4K ProRes files back at the same time. I humbly suggest you may not need DXV.
Resolume is built around the DXV codec and is optimized for that codec. ProRes can F right off. When Apple pulled support from any non Apple branded machine years back is when that codec died to me. It's not optimized for what we do and greedy Apple controls it. It would NOT be a codec of choice for live playback professionals.
The core issue (as it ALWAYS has been for Apple) is giving away permissions to third party devs. DXV worked fine on Apple until THEY took away support. If you want it fixed, you need to bark up Apple's tree as they have their own agenda.

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 21:46When Apple pulled support from any non Apple branded machine years back is when that codec died to me.
Sorry you sound upset. I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about. Hundreds of companies license ProRes, including Microsoft in their Azure cloud:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200321

It is the most widely supported production codec in the world. And, now, the highest performing, too.

On the right hardware, that is.

Can Resolume play 30 layers of 4K DXV on any hardware? If so, what hardware? Just curious.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Less than a decade ago (2016) Apple pulled Prores support for any non Apple branded hardware, so if you used a PC and Adobe, sorry, no Prores support. This was a MAJOR headline that had animators all over the world pissed off. So at that point, I stopped using it. Many people still use it, just not for Live playback (which is the topic at hand).
Since then Apple redeployed the codec back to PC but for 3-5 years there was no support.
Prores has never been the highest performing and never will be. It's a great codec for editing but that's where I leave it.

My Laptop is currently playing 30 4K clips back at 15fps.
Are you saying your mac can playback 30 4K clips of Prores in Arena with better framerates? If so, please share a video ;)
Here's a video of my machine running those clips (I lost 5 fps due to OBS):
https://streamable.com/wnxuaq

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Yeah, that’s what I’m saying. Apple announced a new processor today called M1 Max. It has a CPU 50% faster than an 8-core i9, a GPU the same as a 3060, but with 64 GB of vRAM, and custom ASICs that can play 30 4K ProRes 422 simultaneously. No idea if it does any of that in Resolume, tho.

Announcement video here:

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2021/

Oh, and the internal 8TB SSD operates at 7,400MB/second.

It’s just a tool. Like other tools.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Well since this is a "Resolume" forum, I'm only curious how the performance is IN Resolume. :)

resolumejunkie

Re: New M1 mac

Post by resolumejunkie »

I wanted to take a moment and answer your question, Arvol. In Final Cut Pro, on an M1 (original), I can play (4) 3840x2160p30 clips layered, without dropping frames. In Resolume, on an M1 (original), I can play (3) 3840x2160p30 clips layered, without dropping frames. Seems consistent with the performance loss associated with using Rosetta 2. I, too, am curious how the M1 Max performs in Resolume as well, but as stated previously, I am using different software now for this, that uses many many little computers for multi-screen outputs, rather than one big beefy computer for that. And, the software provides a unified interface for all of them. I am not using Resolume anymore. I basically just obeyed what Menno, one of the Resolume developers, told users to do here:

"One Tip: In general when someone sais you should 'wait' for the issue number to pop up in the release notes, you shouldn't actually wait for us until we've solved it. You should either find a workaround or some other piece of software that can do what you want."

- Menno
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20590&hilit=find+o ... e&start=10

Well, I did. I found other software. I don't need a big beefy computer anymore for playback. I just distribute the workload. The M1 Max will be useful for creating and rendering out large compositions (23,040 x 2160, for example) and rendering out 3840x2160 slices. But, those slices will be played on little computers in-sync for multiscreen TV walls, rather than being played out of Resolume. Much more scalable solution anyway. And, having that unified control interface for all of them is just the bees knees.

Menno
Team Resolume

Post by Menno »

Where do you see 30? When i look at their site it mentions 20? It's on a 5300,- laptop and at 29.97fps for 1 minute. It would be interesting to see if that improved cooling can keep up when combined with the lower power usage. However, since they cut the test after 1 minute, we don't know how it'll perform in environments where software runs for a couple of hours like resolume does. For now it sounds like an effort to get some pretty numbers to show so that the customers think they're buying something performant. Nevertheless, if in the end it can run a couple 4k streams in a hot environment or while the sun is hitting the laptop then being able to use 4k on a macbook would be a nice to have.

You'd be happy to hear though that in the mean time the new Vulkan/Metal graphics engine we've been working on already has some great improvements for prores and the likes. gpu decoding for prores wil make a nice addition here for sure, if that'll bring it on-par with dxv however only time will tell. Lets just say it has a lot to prove ;)

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Yeah, those 16 hour days on the Mexico/US boarder (110+ Degrees F) in direct sunlight really shows what hardware is pro grade and what is a toy. We keep bag of ice at FOH for the Apple boys that come through to get that 8-12fps back up to 25-28 ;)
I'm curious how Apple has improved their cooling, that was one (of many) big issues they had.

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Menno wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 23:46 Where do you see 30?
At exactly 42 minutes and 34 seconds into this video:
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2021/

The whole video is really worth watching. There’s lots of charts and graphs. Worth noting this new MacBook also supports high impedance headphones. They’re in it to win it. :)