BM ultrastudio work with Res

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Morph
Is taking Resolume on a second date

BM ultrastudio work with Res

Post by Morph »

https://www.storedj.com.au/blackmagic-u ... ecorder-3g

Hi folks, can anyone confirm this unit works with Res. Have moved from mac to PC so need a Thunderbolt 3/4 HDMI & SDI capture solution & this just looks like the new version of the old Thunderbolt one I've been using on the mac for years.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: BM ultrastudio work with Res

Post by Arvol »

No clue, I've had more failure with BMD in the past 3 years than any other company so I don't buy BMD products anymore. I know the Magewell cards work great. and if you want to have your mind blown, check out one of these guys:
https://www.amazon.com/BlueAVS-Capture- ... 6YWWD?th=1
No logical reason why these work so well, but I own 10 (thinking they would fail after a year), but the first one I've used still hasn't failed yet lol.

Morph
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Morph »

OK thanks for the link mate. I think I'll give the BM a go anwyay as I need to be able to accomodate both HDMI or SDI inputs depending on the setup I'm walking into.

I only have a few BM products and I agree the drivers used to be a PITA but it seems their software team have stepped up and most of their stuff seems to work a lot better now.

I'll report back :)

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Yeah, If you need SDI, Having a Decimator on hand would help but that's also $$, so having a card that can do either or is nice.

It's not so much their software that's the issue, they company cuts a LOT of corners when it comes to how they program around the TI chips they use, they don't follow standards and that can cause a LOT of issues when it comes to changing resolutions and the edid handshake process. To each their own though :)

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 01:21 Yeah, If you need SDI, Having a Decimator on hand would help but that's also $$, so having a card that can do either or is nice.

It's not so much their software that's the issue, they company cuts a LOT of corners when it comes to how they program around the TI chips they use, they don't follow standards and that can cause a LOT of issues when it comes to changing resolutions and the edid handshake process. To each their own though :)

This is really great info, Arvol! I know we don’t always see eye-to-eye, but that’s all helpful!

We use decimators, too, going back all the way to when the manufacturer was named, “Redbyte” and the HD-SDI to HDMI converter with analog audio outputs was a product called, “Decimator”… the product became so popular that they renamed the company Decimator! Lol. The original Decimator was useful in the tv commercial production industry for using larger consumer monitors than were available from pro manufacturers at the time for client / agency video villages. We were all using $6,000 Panasonic BT-LH2600 26” or BT-LH2550 25.5” monitors. Then, the Decimator came along, and we realized we could be using $500 32” consumer monitors (with IPS panels) and the client / agency was happier, our overhead was lower, and we could all raise our rates 20%! We all loved the Decimators! Other brands of converters at the time had too much latency. Decimators rocked!

They now make a couple versions of it. I don’t remember the models numbers exactly. I think the cheaper ones have worse latency, though. The MD-DUCC is lower latency than the MD-HX, or so I’ve heard anyway.

Re: Blackmagic Ultrastudio (Thunderbolt 3): it’s uncompressed. If you need uncompressed, what other good options are there in the price range? EDID issues can be resolved with EDID emulators… I really, really, really like the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus, with the EDID of a Sony PVM-A170 stored in it. The EDID from this monitor has all the good stuff: 1080i50, 59.94, 60.00, and 1080p23.98, 24.00, 29.97, 50.00, 59.94, and 60.00. Plus, the Gefen lets me store the EDID long-term. Just slide the write-protect switch so it cannot be overwritten. It doesn’t even need a power supply! It’s great!

It’s no surprise the $30 HDMI capture device is problem-free, and I write this for the benefit of others, because I am certain you are already aware: the drivers for that $30 capture device are built into the operating system of your computer. It’s a UVC driver capture device. The drivers are part of the USB spec. So, naturally, it works problem-free. Alas, the downside is video compression. Lots and lots and lots of it. Now, maybe not everyone is sensitive to video compression. But, if they are, uncompressed input is the way to eliminate it. And, for uncompressed capture, for the money, it’s hard to beat the combination of a Blackmagic Ultrastudio and Gefen HDMI Detective Plus. In this person’s opinion.