Older Datapath X4 - worth it?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Mr.Si
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Older Datapath X4 - worth it?

Post by Mr.Si »

Hi all,

What with HD being so much more "standard" these days, is there any worth in getting an older X4 with the DVI-D connections on, or is it just too old to care about?

I've seen one used for very cheap (one of the outputs has green speckles on the picture, but the rest is supposed to be fine) so I'm wondering if I should bother - and maybe even open it up to see if there's a faulty bit of electronics needing replacement - or if I should ignore it.

I'm running a Mac Pro 5,1 with a 6Core XEON, 32 GB RAM and a GTX1070 with 3x HDMI and 1x DP (or the other way around). OS is high-sierra because of the whole Apple-NVidia argument beyond that OS. It's also boot camped with Win10.

I look forward to your wisdom.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Older Datapath X4 - worth it?

Post by Arvol »

Do you live in the US? I have one I'd sell you (X4). Great condition, just never gets used.

Mr.Si

Post by Mr.Si »

Arvol wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 15:18 Do you live in the US? I have one I'd sell you (X4). Great condition, just never gets used.
Am afraid not - I'm in the south of England in the UK.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Back to your OP, green spec's typically means a broken or poor shielding on the DVI adapter/cable. You might fiddle around with different cables and checking the solder points on the board around the DVI connectors.

I did a DVI shoot out about 8 years ago, These are the best cables I found for what we do (and LED walls):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Audiovox-Aco ... /453407568

Mr.Si

Post by Mr.Si »

Arvol wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 16:32 Back to your OP, green spec's typically means a broken or poor shielding on the DVI adapter/cable. You might fiddle around with different cables and checking the solder points on the board around the DVI connectors.

I did a DVI shoot out about 8 years ago, These are the best cables I found for what we do (and LED walls):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Audiovox-Aco ... /453407568
Thanks for the help.
I decided to buy it as it was going for £80 (GBP). It's not a massive fork out by any stretch and if I use Dual-Link I can send a nice large canvas to it. Hopefully will be able to fix the port too - useful info about the solder points - I guess that's quite a likely failure point after multiple connections & disconnections.