Whats the best current laptop for Resolume ?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
messhead
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by messhead »

Im currently waiting for new controller come out which apparently will be the next lot they have, Including USB support so im holding on to buying a laptop at the moment as the new Santa Rosa Chips will be out very soon with 800FSB and alot of imrovements over the current Centrino's. But im looking at a Dell Precision M90. Very nice and high spec'd laptop and as im from the UK where it would cost me £2,800 you can get them from the US on ebay for £1,600 from 'ultrahighendcomputers' including delivery to the UK. Thats a T7600 2.33GHZ, 2GB Ram, Quadro FX3500M, 17" 1920x1600 WUXGA screen (best one) and loads of other kit as well. That with a eSata RAID enclosure with 2 HDD's is th best i found at the moment without going absolutly silly on price. But as i say, New CPU's and MoBO combinations will be out very soon with the santa rosa setup so i'd hold on just a little longer ;)

messhead

Post by messhead »

Im with you on that 1, Everyone i've known thats had dell as had nothing but problems. 1 not beeing earthed so when you connected an external sound card it buzzed!!! Another just had constant problems and needed returning all the time and there customer service is ran by neanderthols i think haha.

But the M90 comes under there Business Warrenty and guarentee which is leagues away from the consumer based products. Next day on site repair/replacements and i even think theres a special number for emergancies. Good to see everyone gets treated the same hey!!!

Plus, the M90 Spec's are ideal for me as i will be using Adobe's production suite which the Quadro card will be useful and im guessing Dell will be one of the first with the new Santa Rosa as they usually have exclusive deals with Nvidia & Intel such as it is with the Quadro FX3500M. As im sitting on my hands for the ReAct controller, hopefully a nice new M90 will be available when its released :)

electrotimba
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by electrotimba »

Sony SZ or MBP are the best choices. I like SZ better because of weight, size and 2 card switch, up to 5 h. on batteries ( naturally you cant do video when switched to Intel)

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/proddetail. ... 1Jp-AK028E

works wonders! all good and runs resolume well also!

messhead

Post by messhead »

I've had BAD experiance's with ASUS so wouldnt go near them with a bargepole! Great when they work (which they mostly do) but when they dont, your screwed!!! I had a MoBo from there where not only did the 2nd network card use up 100% resources constantly (so had turn it off) the northbridge fan failed. After what seemed like century's trying get in touch with them (with no avail) i replaced the broken H/S+Fan myself and ended up selling it on ebay and going with DFI and never looked back. Best thing i did.

Plus Asus latest incarnation's have a major floor with there VDIMM's and the voltage as massive fluctuations. I overclock and anyone else that does understands that this is a major NO NO and isnt acceptable and shouldnt really be sold to the general public in my opinion.

Just a word of warning!!!

I've ended up taking the plunge now and brought a laptop the otherday as i have a GIG in october and need get onto it. I ended up going with a Top spec Dell M90 from the states. £1,530 including P&P + Insurance. WOuld have been £2,500+ over here so bargain :)

HERE

[Edited on 18-5-2007 by messhead]

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

nice messhaed. any power problems with having bought it in the states? i have to say touch wood at the mo that Asus are cool man but seems like you have had some really trouble! i havea dell desktop and im down for dell man! :)

weweje
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by weweje »

Asus A8-JS
14.1" screen ( 1440 x900 )
2gb DDR ram
512Mb geforce 7700 go
;)
++ external hdd Lacie plugged with firewire

messhead

Post by messhead »

I got my laptop now,

Dell Precision M90
Core2 T7600 2.33Ghz
2GB 667 Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX3500M

I connect it with a eSata 34 express card to 2x500GB RAID0 HD enclosure. The enclosure isnt exactly transportable so ill use it for home use and get another 500GB-1TB single eSata hard drive for taking out with me.

I use it for Adobe Production Suite as well and it absolutly wipes the floor with everything i chuck at it. Resolume with Wiimote, 3 vids @ 720x546 (something like that) and 3 effects all going doesnt even use 60% of the power and have even burnt dvd's while using resolume without any trouble.

Probably OTT for most people who just want use resolume but if your going do you own stuff and use programs such as Adobe's production suite, It's simple the best laptop on the market and an excellent desktop replacement. Its not that heavy and it's not that much bigger than most 17" laptops. I paid £1,550 delivered to the UK from US, £2,500 if brought in the uk. If your in US already, No worries ;)

10/10 as it wipes the floor with my old PC as well which is a Opteron 175, 2GB Ballistix, Geforce 7800GTX. VERY VERY IMPRESSED!!!

[Edited on 1-7-2007 by messhead]