What do you think about the midi controller I've mounted?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
VJ_Chico
Is taking Resolume on a second date

What do you think about the midi controller I\'ve mounted?

Post by VJ_Chico »

Hello, I want to know what do you think about the midi controller I made, It was my first project, isnt finished yet (needs only the buttons and the slider) but its already 100% functional. Thanks.

[Edited on 9-1-2008 by VJ_Chico]

ROdrigueZ

Post by ROdrigueZ »

wicked cool hardware DIY \o/ props to you ... do let us know later how it runs

normal
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by normal »

Whats inside though?

incuf

Post by incuf »

Great!!! I've been wondering haw could I create my own midi controller. Please tell us how you've done it? what's inside, drivers, etc

Congrats!!!! nice job!

IncuF

VJ_Chico

Post by VJ_Chico »

Hello, thanks for all replies and interest. Excuse me for the delay, I had been working very much this end of year, presenting images on clubs (is right to say this?), of course together with my Midi Chicontroller, which is a really good company ;)

Well, the controller was mounted inside a really cheap tool box, but could be mounted inside almost anything or anywhere that fits (from a shoe box to a frying pan). The intention of the tool box is because it open in half, so I can confortably make the maintenance on both circuit side (bottom) and the control, potentiometers side (upper, movable).

The controller runs on a simple and cheap microcontroller from intel 8051 family, I have programmed (coded) the microcontroller and designed the circuit all myself, but I know there are ready projects like this in the internet.

It has 30 potentiometers which sends control change data from controller 8 to 37, all in absolute values (not incremental), actually the display just shows the outgoing midi data, controller number, value and a small 1 char graphic bar with value. The idea is to add some or many buttons to the controller so could control menus in the display to configure it, change some functions, shift the controller numbers and/or any other idea, because I program the microcontroller to do whatever I want :D

Inside the controller it has basically: one microcontroller (the heart and brain) from 8051 family, to be specific the AT89S52, which has 8kB of code memory, 256bytes of ram and is running at 12mhz, one 16x2 display, one analogic to digital converter, four analog multiplexers, one 3 to 8 decoder, one opto-coupler and some other small parts.

forgot to say, actually it runs only on a real MIDI port, and it is powered by its, the advantage is that only 1 cable comes to the controller.

I'm not that good in english, so may have writed many wrong things, any doubts please ask, or any other doubts feel free to ask. Thanks.

[Edited on 3-1-2008 by VJ_Chico]

normal

Post by normal »

Thanks for the info, nice work dude

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

Very nice work. That'd be pretty sweet if you could store the majority of your cables inside the bottom half

zaniz

Post by zaniz »

nice
your stuff looks very geek.

[Edited on 7-2-2008 by zaniz]

VJ_Chico

Post by VJ_Chico »

Originally posted by normal
Thanks for the info, nice work dude
Thanks to you too.

Originally posted by DayVeeJay
Very nice work. That'd be pretty sweet if you could store the majority of your cables inside the bottom half
Thanks. This is possible with some modification, the circuit boards are small in height.
Originally posted by zaniz
nice
your stuff looks very geek.

[Edited on 7-2-2008 by zaniz]
I dont understand "geek". To look geek is good or bad?

I have made a new modification in software last week. Now Im using the last potentiometer to control a linear delayed mode (dont know if its right to say this). Works this way:
Last potentiometer in position 0 will make controller act normally, linear delayed mode is deactivated.

From value 1 to 254 (the controller is internally 8 bit so values go from 0 to 255) the linear delayed mode is active, when you change any of other potentiometers it dont go exactly and instantly to the value you turned, it will increment/decrement by 1 the last value it was until the value it is turned now, in example:
in normal mode, if potentiometer is in 30 then you really fast turn it to 50, the controller will just send 50
in linear delayed mode, if potentiometer is in 30 then you really fast turn it to 50, the controller will send 31,32,33,34,35,36... 50
Varying the last potentiometer from 1 to 254 will change the delay between each increment decrement. In the maximum delay it takes around 20 seconds to go from 0 to 127, which is a really smooth transition.

Last potentiometer in value 255 (full) will make controller to pause, stop or halt, it will not respond to none and wont send anything until last potentiometer is set <255

I think this is a feature that only exists in my controller, I think this is very usefull, and I'm very happy with this :D

Any question, please ask. Thanks.

levon
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by levon »

its like a Legato on a potentiometer, thats really cool!!

I'm in the process of making my own Midi controller atm, using Midibox. http://www.ucapps.de
not making a resolume controller (yet) just starting off with a simple foot pedal interface for Live. but should be able to use it for resolume as well.