Good laptop for Resolume

Bro, does your rig even lift?
drfelip
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Good laptop for Resolume

Post by drfelip »

Hi people! A friend asked me about a good laptop for Resolume, so I Googled a bit, found this forum and browsed a bit. I see some of you use quite old laptops, but almost everybody uses a fast external HD to store video files and so. The problem is that she prefers not to carry a 3.5" external HD in addition to the rest of the equipment. Do you think it's possible to go live at high quality (don't know exactly the resolution she is going to use, let's assume the best one) just using the internal HD? The laptop I proposed to her was:

Dell Precision M4300 (Windows XP Pro)
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2,0 GHz), 2 GB RAM
120 GB HD, 7200 rpm
Nvidia Quadro FX 360M (professional-grade equivalent to GeForce 8400 GS).

Would this laptop do a good job? Do you have any other suggestion? I guess a faster CPU and larger HD would be better, but that config is more or less right for her budget.

Thanks for your attention.
Last edited by drfelip on Tue Feb 26, 2008 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

bart
Team Resolume

Re: Good laptop for Resolume

Post by bart »

That laptop will run resolume just fine! The 7200rpm drive is the fastest you can get in a laptop.

tind

Post by tind »

i think most of today (recent) laptop will run resolume just fine, even with DV clip but the only concern i think it's the internal HD like you said... 5400 might not me enough.

anyone running resolume with top quality resolution clip on a laptop with an internal 5400 drive ? would realy like to get some feedbacl :?:

i am looking for a new laptop right now but it got to be VERY portable. i travel a lot for VJ gigs and im tired of binging my (goold) old powerbook mac 15"... it's heavy + it doesn't run resolume! :|

so now im looking into these very small and lightweight HP laptop : DV27XX serie. goes from dual core 1,67 to 2.0 ghz or so, with 2gig of ram, nvidia card (don't need much, just a good resolution and SVIDEO out!)... so anyone use these ? the only problem is the internal HD drive : 5400 rpm (SATA)...

(exemple : http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho ... 35007.html)

would realy like to get some feedback about this, im looking into buying one very soon !

thanx guys ! can't wait to get back to resolume, finaly after 7 years of playing on mac... (don't get me wrong, i love osx, i like modul8 and motiondive but it's not resolume!)

+

francis.t
tind.org

miau
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by miau »

tind wrote:i think most of today (recent) laptop will run resolume just fine, even with DV clip but the only concern i think it's the internal HD like you said... 5400 might not me enough.

anyone running resolume with top quality resolution clip on a laptop with an internal 5400 drive ? would realy like to get some feedbacl :?:

i am looking for a new laptop right now but it got to be VERY portable. i travel a lot for VJ gigs and im tired of binging my (goold) old powerbook mac 15"... it's heavy + it doesn't run resolume! :|

so now im looking into these very small and lightweight HP laptop : DV27XX serie. goes from dual core 1,67 to 2.0 ghz or so, with 2gig of ram, nvidia card (don't need much, just a good resolution and SVIDEO out!)... so anyone use these ? the only problem is the internal HD drive : 5400 rpm (SATA)...
(exemple : http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho ... 35007.html)

would realy like to get some feedback about this, im looking into buying one very soon !

thanx guys ! can't wait to get back to resolume, finaly after 7 years of playing on mac... (don't get me wrong, i love osx, i like modul8 and motiondive but it's not resolume!)
francis.t
tind.org

Why don't you just use an external hard drive via esata interface (the fastest there is) or if you are a MAC user with firewire 800 interface(works for PC and MAC) ? There are very good models for Lacie and Western Digital. Simple and cheap!

tind

Post by tind »

yeah it's good option ! if im stuck with a 5400 internal HD it's what i would do. i already have many external FW 800 HD for my video editing...

drfelip

Post by drfelip »

I'm the OP, so I can't tell about Resolume performance, but Dell makes 13.3" laptops with 7200 rpm hard drives, look for the Dell XPS M1330, it's a nice machine.

tind

Post by tind »

hey dr. ! very appreciated !
gonna check those and since we got some very good ($$$$) projects lately i think we will be able to get a very nice one :mrgreen:

drfelip

Post by drfelip »

s2 wrote:Otherwise you will get better performance from a 5400rpm internal AND an external firewire or eSata drive.
Is Firewire 400 good enought? I keep reading people advising eSATA drives, but I don't know if the interface is really a bottleneck for Resolume.