Looking for good USB-based video input

Bro, does your rig even lift?
gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Looking for good USB-based video input

Post by gpvillamil »

I would like to take at least one, and maybe more, composite video feeds into Resolume.

There are numerous USB-based video input products, and I am trying to decide amongst them. (I am not looking for a PC card based device, it is for a laptop.)

Are there any that are known to work especially well with Resolume?

If you are using such a thing, can you post it here? Thanks!

VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Looking for good USB-based video input

Post by VJ Nexus »

The problem with usb based video input options is that there is always a significant delay to the video - much more so than an internal option. You may want to look and see if there is a pcmcia option for your laptop instead.

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

Go with a firewire capture card. I picked up a canopus advc-110 and am very happy with it. I dont even have install drivers to use it!

wrybread
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by wrybread »

I just got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SVID2USB ... 046&sr=1-3

It's funny, it works well in its own utility (GrabBee) or other Windows programs like VirtualVCR, but when I try to use it in Resolume it drops frames like crazy.

It's outputting 640x480, which is the same as my Resolume output.

I'm trying to use it to play an old Pong game, and it drops so many frames that it would be impossible to play.

What's also interesting is my camcorder works just fine when plugged into USB and run through Resolume. It shows up as "USB Video Device" and doesn't appear to drop frames at all. Unfortunately it doesn't have a line in though.

Rags

Post by Rags »

Yer I found a old Pinnacle PCTV USB2 device that uses Compoosite or svideo, it did the trick, there was a small delay but not so bad that it was unuseable. I normaly Set up a video Cam with Firewire In and use that.

Another thing that can be done is to use the camera with Firewire In and plug svid in to camera and go through the cam so the cam is acting like a converter.

VJ_INSAN3
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by VJ_INSAN3 »

I have been using USB Capture Devices for some time now with Resolume 2.
http://www.kworld.com.tw/product_overview.aspx?P_ID=241 I have three of these devices even though they were a bit expensive for $80 at the time, they have been very functional devices for the past two or so years. I have since purchased two more similar devices, which are just as good but less than a third the price. All of my USB capture devices support Full-frame 720x576 PAL capture at 25fps, very solid for both live-video and daisy-chained other visuals machines (of course there is a very slight video delay which won't affect the average Joe).

In all I suggest finding the consumer USB capture dongle/devices aimed at the home-luser for capturing their video tapes to DVD. The drivers are simple enough to just work - since they cater to the no-brainer. The only problem I have is when I plug multiple devices in, they all show up with the same Capture device name (it would be great if you could rename Sources in Resolume 3...)

wrybread

Post by wrybread »

What processor are you using? I'm using one on a Pentium M 1500 processor and the processor definitely chokes on mine. I'm wondering if that one you linked to is worth a shot, or if you're simply using a much better computer than me?

dep

Post by dep »

I have a Pinnacle Studio MovieBox: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... ion+12.htm (although this is version 12, mine is 11). Works ok in resolume2.41 - mostly use it for capturing, though.

serik

Post by serik »

I once used the svideo out from my notebook and converted the signal with my dv camcoder to be able to connect it with firewire to my pc. on the software-side it was the other way round. i used the signal of resolume to get it into vvvv. it worked very well for me but my estimation is that it had a delay of about 1/4 second. in the long run i would prefer a solution without this delay.