Solid State Drives

Bro, does your rig even lift?
gegenlicht
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Solid State Drives

Post by gegenlicht »

Hi,

a friend just told me about these Esata solid state drives...

-> http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop ... ID=B179234

I would love to use something like this for flexibilty. You can easily upgrade them, you dont need to worry about the size because you could use multiple sticks and you would be able to use your xpresscard slot for an e-sata card, so you are still able to use a raid 0 system for editing material at home.

But 90mb/s ? Sounds really sloooooow. How can this be??

Anyone experience with these sticks?

I only have 5400rpm, its nasty... this would be the perfect solution, money / usability wise :/

cheerz
blinded by lights

digital:snot
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by digital:snot »

some ssd performance data as well as a comparison with the OCZ Throttle

http://www.notebookcheck.net/SSD-versus ... 750.0.html

glasshopper

Post by glasshopper »

Hey - would be great to see full specs for the test machines you are running - would be really useful for the community ... these test results are indisputible.

gegenlicht

Post by gegenlicht »

digital:snot wrote:some ssd performance data as well as a comparison with the OCZ Throttle

http://www.notebookcheck.net/SSD-versus ... 750.0.html

Thank you for this link!

So no OCZ Throttle :/ Would have been the best solution, + affordable for me. I guess i will have to wait for good external SSD's. I couldnt be bothered changing disks in my laptop every time i want to vj.

----

Another Question, concerning the benefits of SSD's posted by the Devs:

I have an internal 5400 rpm HDD, if i had a exernal ssd, in one of these 2,5 cases ... would the speed increment be the same? Or does the increase also depend on the fact that windows/osx is running fast on an SSD HDD ?

Imo SSD'S are too small/expensiv to buy as a main HDD :/

cheerz :o
blinded by lights

gradek

Post by gradek »

gegenlicht wrote: I have an internal 5400 rpm HDD, if i had a exernal ssd, in one of these 2,5 cases ... would the speed increment be the same? Or does the increase also depend on the fact that windows/osx is running fast on an SSD HDD ?
your only going to see top performance out of an external SSD HD if you have a fast connection to the computer. USB and Firewire 400/800 are not fast enough to get 200MB/s read or write speeds from your drive. FW800 is 80MB/s I believe. Need to look it up. so the only way is with eSATA. You don't need a fast internal HD to benefit from the speed. But if you want your applications, and OS to run faster you need to have it internal. But if your using it for storing VJ video clips to play in resolume, you will see a speed boost.

see more info here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5963
Want to map LED rings with Resolume? Then look no further: https://goo.gl/f2dPGu

gegenlicht

Post by gegenlicht »

Yes... the thing about having a slow internal HDD for OS and Resolume speed, which made me ask this question, is that i do have 4gb of ram in my laptop and the laptop itself is (as i hope) fast enough (dell m1530 xps) that the ram/cpu specs would be able to carry the processes well enough to only use an esata SSD for video files.
Or am i just puting my hopes up? :D

Using a secondary internal SSD (once again)would be to pricy and uncomfortable. 8-)
When time and money comes, i will post about the performence benefits!
I dont know about any external SSD drives (+esata) so i would need to by a special case... right?

Thank you for your input :)
blinded by lights

sikanda

Post by sikanda »

just bought a intel 25x ssd with 80gb - great tool. pluged it over esata.
but suprisingly i dont see higher framerates on my macbook pro 1.1.
running 3 layers at 800x600 brings with the dxv codec mode around 20 to 25fps with jpg around 15.
realy lame.
is the graphic card the bottlenec?
anyone has expierienced same issue or has same macbookPro?

gradek

Post by gradek »

sikanda,

I just installed a Crossair p128 SSD drive to replace my interal drive on a 1.1 macbook pro (circa 2006) i will do some test with resolume to see if I get a speed boost vs. my 7200 external.

have you run any speed benchmark tests yet on your SSD running eSATA? just curruious if your getting full read speeds. also, I assume you are using a express card adapter to run the eSATA correct?
Want to map LED rings with Resolume? Then look no further: https://goo.gl/f2dPGu

gradek

Post by gradek »

Ok, so I did a very simple test to compare performance of an external HD and my new Internal SSD drive. I used 3 clips all 640x480 some with DXV and Others Photo-JPEG quicktime on my Macbook pro. The SSD drive is also running my OS and Apps in addition to the Video Clips but still has much better performance. I would suspect to see similar or better results with an external SSD drive via eSATA. See my results below.

sikanda, how fast do your clips play when running on a none-SSD drive? Is there really no performance increase at all? if so perhaps you eSATA express slot adapter is cheap and uses a USB-2 bus, instead of the PCI-E connection. Both are possible with express slot adapters. My suggestion is try a different eSATA adapter, or install the drive internally. I see such a huge performance increase in launching my apps, and running the OS with my SSD drive that its wroth it. Ok, not a lot of storage space, but I don't need more then about 20-30gb of clips for VJing. so that still leaves 90gb for apps and OS. All other files like movies, music and personal data I keep on slower external drives.

Simple SSD vs. 7200 External on MBP first generation (circa late 2006)

SSD- Crossair P128 internal SSD with OS and apps installed.
External - Western Digital Mybook 500GB (7200) connected via Firewire400

1 Clip (no effects) 640x480
7200 - 45fps
SSD - 58fps

3 Clips (no effects) 640x480
7200 - 30fps average
SSD - 43fps average

Fordster

Post by Fordster »

I use a Samsung PB22-J SSD in my VJ laptop. Althouth it is only 64Gb, this is plenty enough to hold the O/S and banks of visuals. As I use a 17" Dell, I have a second (conventional) hard drive which acts as a large but slower store for archived sets etc. With the Samsung, I'm getting read speeds of 220Mb/s and write of 180MB/s. Performance has drastically improved, and I'd say it is one of the biggest improvements you can make to a machine.

Though the market is getting flooded with SSD's and pseudo SSD's (i.e. the CF to SSD adapters), I found a bit of research before purchasing paid dividends. The results of the research? Avoid any SSD that uses the jMicron controller - The buffer size is so small, it regularly stutters for seconds at a time, causing your whole system to come to a standstill.

Either Samsung controllers or Indilinx controllers seem to be perfect...