AKAI APC 40 and Resolume Avenue

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: AKAI APC 40 and Resolume Avenue

Post by Basic »

this looks amazing Arno, im not much of a coder and think i will get stuck with the feedback part when my apc20 arrives. I think the demand on mac could be very high... in fact i think that there may be a poll somewhere which shows how many people are using which platform. if not i will be create one.

Its funny how you have created this for windows and i am a week away from the transition to mac! oh well :D

still cool though!

1000errors
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by 1000errors »

VJVertex wrote:the 72 knobs work perfectly without bome! i use bome only to get a midi-feedback and if i press the scene buttons they´ll glow red, most work was getting working like in resoulume: if u select another clip in same layer the clip before stops, so if i press next button in one layer, the old one switches off and the new one glows red.

only some buttons working only in toggle mode => double press

but i hope there will be midi-feedback soon!
I have an apc40 and resolume and bomes. I would be really really grateful if you wouldnt mind sharing your bomes patch(or whatever you call it) so i could also have LED feedback. my email is 1000@gmail.com thanks a billion! :D

VJVertex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by VJVertex »

oh don´t see what going on here... actually i fight a bit with my new controller (VMX2). APC40 and VMX2 don´t have any software to edit them. And some buttons send same notes, i have to find out what´s up and maybe bome the solution, too!

I hope Midifeedback is coming soon, it´s not that good if u use a mouse or anything else and there is no feedback to the controller :?

Maybe Akai brings a edit software... also look forwars for that (using the toggle buttons)
| EVGA SR-2 | 2 x Intel Core i7 X5650 | 48 GB Corsiar DDR3 PC12800 | 2 x HD5870 Eyefinity 6 | 1 x GTX580 | 256GB Samsung 840 PRO | 160GB Intel Postville | Win 7 X64 | Resolume Arena 4 |

psilopsyben

Post by psilopsyben »

I've just started looking into using my apc40 with resolume today and found this thread. I'm mainly concerned about getting the clip launch buttons to light when the corresponding clip is launched, and getting the led's on the knobs to work. The combo of the apc and resolume seem to be a match made in heaven otherwise. Bomes seems to be a bit over my head right now. Maybe I need a bit more time learning it. Anyone that could dumb it down for me would be appreciated. I can't really figure out how to make the program send anything to the apc. If there is any chance Arno could release that awesome looking program, I would be most grateful. In the meantime I guess I should spend some time with the Bomes manual.

subvert

Post by subvert »

psilopsyben wrote:I've just started looking into using my apc40 with resolume today and found this thread. I'm mainly concerned about getting the clip launch buttons to light when the corresponding clip is launched, and getting the led's on the knobs to work. The combo of the apc and resolume seem to be a match made in heaven otherwise. Bomes seems to be a bit over my head right now. Maybe I need a bit more time learning it. Anyone that could dumb it down for me would be appreciated. I can't really figure out how to make the program send anything to the apc. If there is any chance Arno could release that awesome looking program, I would be most grateful. In the meantime I guess I should spend some time with the Bomes manual.
You can skim through my posts about my first experience with the APC & Resolume and how to use Bomes with MIDI OX and APC40 on the previous pages, i think it's gonna be hard to make it more simple. Again you only need all of this to have the lights working, APC will work with Resolume anyway, just map as you like.

And you won't be able to have the buttons indicate what clip is playing, this would only be possible with MIDI feedback from Resolume. Anything you can do at this time is purely cosmetic

retina_error

Post by retina_error »

I know the guys are working hard on making Avenue better and I don'T have a glue how to programm such a peace of software but one question comes to my mind. Is it that hard to include a midisend? maybe someone can tell me a bit more about. I justtry to understand...

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Is it that hard to include a midisend?
To send out a Midi signal from Resolume is pretty trivial and not hard at all. However, to implement Midi out in such a way that everyone can use it (so not just APC40 owners, but everyone with a device that needs Midi out), and that you can also adapt the routing efficiently and intuitively to your own needs is a whole different matter entirely. It's not something you just glue in there.

As for the current state of things, this is coming along swimmingly. When the new release drops, we'll also be putting out templates for the most common controllers, including the APC40.

Hope that explains it.

Joris

KILL! CLUB

Post by KILL! CLUB »

super like - my apc 40 rocks with resolume//

werlin

Post by werlin »

goto10 wrote:
As for the current state of things, this is coming along swimmingly. When the new release drops, we'll also be putting out templates for the most common controllers, including the APC40.
we're all eager to see lights blinking eheh :mrgreen:

alfaleader

Post by alfaleader »

Hi

In this tutorial I'm going to explain how to achieve midi feedback for resolume (in this example with the APC20, but's it's the same for other midi controllers). Many VJs get stuck in the programming, so here a tutorial for making your own personal midi feedback.
We will use Bome's midi translator.

First i made a quick movie for showing what I did with my APC20. Be prepared, it's the worse quality ever (small compact camera + windows movie maker, I couldn't find my good camera and After Effects crashed)

0) IN GENERAL
First we need to split the signal so it goes to resolume and it goed to Bome's.
We will do this:
(image from resolume forum made by subvert)

So download MIDI-OX and MIDI YOKE, install it and go in MIDI-OX to the options, MIDI-Devices. Now you want the input to come from the APC20 and the output to MIDI Yoke 2 and MIDI Yoke 3 (I use 2 and 3, but you can use 1 and 2 or something else).
The thing it does is: midi-ox splits the signal to the virtual midi port midi yoke 2 and midi yoke 3, midi yoke 2 will go to resolume and controll the clips (it's the normal mapping procedure). The same signal on midi yoke 3 will go to bome's and will be processed to midi out back to resolume.

Your MIDI settings for each program should be:
MIDI-OX:
in from APC20
out to midi yoke 2 and midi yoke 3

Bomes
in from midi yoke 2
out to APC20

Resolume
in from midi yoke 3

1) CLIP SELECTION
Here we want the last pressed button to be green, all the other buttons red.

The idea: if one button is pressed, bome's will send the "green" midi signal to this button and to the other 7 the "red" midi signal.

How we do this:
-Make a new preset in bome's and name it "clip selection layer 1".
-make a new translator entry and call it "clip 1 active"
-now in the incoming you'll have to capture your midi, so I press my first button and it will give 80 35 7F and 90 35 7F. We'll need 80 35 7F because this is the button off signal.
-now we need the outgoing signal. For my APC20 I need for each button the "button on" signal (use the capture midi), and the last 2 characters are what light should be on. So for the first button is "on" signal 90 35 7F so the light signals are 90 35 00 (light out), 90 35 01 (green), 90 35 02 (green blinking), 90 35 03 (red)...
The outgoing signal will be 90 35 01 because we want green light.

Ok, the first light is now green when we push it, but the other lights should go off. So make 7 new translators (name them something like "2 off", "3 off"...).
The input signal for those will be the "button off" signal of the first button (80 35 7F). The output signal will be for the 2nd button the "button on" signal with the last 2 characters changed to the light code.
The second button is 91 35 7F so a red light for this one is 91 35 03.

Do this 7 times for each button that should go red and you have made your first layer! (it's a lot of work, I know :p ). Now repeat this 2 times for the other 2 layers.

(works with APC20 and APC40, but you'll have to program the APC40-only functions yourself)

To be continued for the other features.
Last edited by alfaleader on Mon Apr 11, 2011 18:45, edited 1 time in total.