geforce gtx 260² - any thoughts

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

geforce gtx 260² - any thoughts

Post by Tschoepler »

Hey,

I thought about getting a zotac gtx 260². Any experiences?

I don't want to buy a HD4870 because of it's poor GDI performance (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2d-window ... 31795.html). I don't want to risk performance in Apps such as Illustrator and InDesign. If you don't have issues with GDI I'd be interested in information about it, of course.
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

andresc4
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: geforce gtx 260² - any thoughts

Post by andresc4 »

i have a n250 and its amazing,,, read a litle about cuda, check badaboom endoder, and i can garantee you will stay with nvidia rather than ati

Tschoepler

Post by Tschoepler »

nice :!: and thanks for the comment.

andresc4
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by andresc4 »

i dont know if it was my mistake, but in 3 diferent pcs i have several problems with ati drivers whhen i was handeling dualscreen over svideo. that why i stay with nvidia, and check badaoom media encoder, it works REALY fast, there is a plug in for sony vegas that lets you edit avchd acelerated by cuda

Tschoepler

Post by Tschoepler »

ok, I finally got myself a Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X. I will post some benchmarking results here soon as well as some experiences on tripple screen setup (1x LCD, 2x HD Beamer (DVI&HDMI)). For the moment I can say: it really rocks Avenue. Stay tuned ;)

pleasuretek
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by pleasuretek »

currently I would go with an ATI 5 series with DDR5 memory. instruction sets like cuda and others that offload CPU stuff to GPU don't get used for video very much...

I would select GPU also with what chipset your motherboard is using. i.e. if using nForce chipset get an nvidia card... ATI NB/SB get an ATI card... intel chipset, sell it and go get a real board...

this consideration should be made when specing the initial build.

also on Nvidia cards... 3 series is just around the corner if you can wait a month or two... 260/280 price will go down soon as well.
Asus build - intel 2.8GHz T9600, 4GB 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4670
Rack unit - intel 2.7GHz q6600, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR2, 9800GTX+, intensity HDMI input card

HerrNieDa

Post by HerrNieDa »

the Problem with the new ati 5xxx series is, there are no models with tv-out anymore...
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

pleasuretek
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by pleasuretek »

Yep, Only options are high quality squarepixel video.. I have never understood the need for a V4 in case of crash... I still don't use resolume3 live for that reason.

VGA is so much cleaner, especially if you want to create a next-level experience for those who momentarily gaze at screen.

HDMI and DVI have too short of cable run limitations and I can forsee some HDCP issues in a HDMI "Mixxer". VGA is perfect for mixxing, sure you need to sync at 60-85MHz instead of 24-29.94MHz (or framebuffer into software mixxer and out).

Especially if you need that much power for a live show... you do realize a "video card" is for computing projective geometry and multidimensional matrices/vecterCalc. And a 260 just to decode DXV clips at SD resolution... overkill, save your money and buy some stuff to make you think all night and breakDown every possible angle of what bits are going to get pushed that way and what is being done currently on CPU, You would probly get a bigger performance gain by buying a new Mobo/CPU/RAM combo.

Yeah wow, you are trying to send svidio or composite out... and were you going to SLI them? is that what the squared is for? wow overkill even for intense Crysis gaming... I can think of a million ways to spend that much money so that the gear will pay for itself quickly and start making me more money.
Asus build - intel 2.8GHz T9600, 4GB 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4670
Rack unit - intel 2.7GHz q6600, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR2, 9800GTX+, intensity HDMI input card

HerrNieDa

Post by HerrNieDa »

the simple thing is that club standard is still a bnc video cable...
and if your computer crashes and you have even a switch box, you lose your signal for a short time

ok, it's not that hard as if the sound crashes and everything is silcence, but it's the same fault and simply shouldn''t happen!

resolume on a workstation is never 100% stable!
a vidomixer is very handy for mixing with cameras, dvd's, feedbackloops,....
and if i want to use my setup for vga and (s-)video, why should i buy a card without tv-out as long as they are produced with it! An ATI 48xx or nvidia 2xx series is very powerfull and should be nearly enough for resolume3 maximum resolution!

i have all my clips converted to dxv, ok it may took me a week for all at 3 pc's.. but i needed a new codec cause with indeo i had many corrupt files and no i havo no corrupt file any more, and i also should be able to run my hd footage on a single core cpu with a good gpu, so you can f.e. use older hardware for vj'ing.

running s-video on ati (4xxx series) only runs with the right dvi port connected to the main monitor... if it won't work, switch the cable and it works even without restart (win7 x64)
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)