Mac or PC for Avenue?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
minniemouse
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Mac or PC for Avenue?

Post by minniemouse »

Hi folks,

I'm a VJ and up until now I've used a MacBook for gigs running some other software, but I want to switch to Avenue, and I'm considering getting a PC to run it, mainly because they're mostly cheaper and they've got more output ports than the new MacBooks.
Whether you run Mac or PC, I would really appreciate your feedback on how your machine runs with Avenue. So far I've considered MacBook pro, and on the PC side, Dell Vostro, Alienware, or Asus.

Obviously looking for fast, clean playback and no crashes!

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Mac or PC for Avenue?

Post by VJair »

i have a dell vostro 1720 with a geforce 9600 running win 7.

running in hi def its runs more layers than i need at lovely high frame rates.

wicked machine :)

minniemouse
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by minniemouse »

VJair, thanks loads for that. There's so much choice, it can be baffling! I've checked their site, and Dell don't make Vostro 1720's anymore, so I'll see what else they have that's similar or look elsewhere. best, Mm :)

olivepixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by olivepixel »

I'm using an old-ish PC laptop, things run smoothly with a large number of effects, but I keep everything at 640x480.

If you do go the PC route, have a look at http://forum.notebookreview.com/

They have some very helpful and knowledgeable users who can narrow the selection (because it is always baffling!)

vjquark
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by vjquark »

I have a Macbook Pro 2,5 Ghz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, nvidia Gforce 8600M GT, i tried Resolume Avenue 3 on Mac OS and also on WIN 7 64 bit (all on one machine thanx to Boot Camp)... it seems like it runs better under Windows,
than Mac OS, i dont know why, but with the same composition & videos i get much more FPS on Windows.....

so i suggest to run it under Windows.... (could be mac though) ;)

ROTOR

Post by ROTOR »

but ... you would lose the ability to play QuartzComposer patches, right? ... so hmm ... I am really thinking about getting a new mbp - just to be able to use QC patches. hmm ...

vjquark

Post by vjquark »

sure, there is no other way to use QC, only on OS X.. but when u need to trigger long video files with big resolutions, looks like under Windows it's way better... But this is why i bought expensive MBP to use both of the systems....

digital:snot
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by digital:snot »

IF you are gonna convert your content to the DXV codec, than getting a moderate gaming laptop is the way to go and throw a quality SSD in it (search the forum on that)

personally i love ASUS laptops... they have been solid for me, and they tend to have the market cornered on:

- Budget friendly,
- Quality (check this out): http://lifehacker.com/5524704/laptop+re ... top-makers
- and gaming value (compared to a heavy hitter like alienware )

they are a tad "ugly" to me, but i have had my asus G1s for almost 4 years and it is a solid little machine.
i still prefer xp over 7 for res ave... but that is just me i'm old fashion.