How Do You Scratch Video?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
ranimmo
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

How Do You Scratch Video?

Post by ranimmo »

Hey,

Forgive me because I am kinda new to this whole midi thing. But I have a question. Does anyone know how to get a knob on a midi controller (specifically the MPD 26) to scratch video?

The way I currently have it set up is I just simply mapped the knob I wanted to use to the playhead of the active layer. But this presents a few problems. The knob sends out a value between 0 and I think 127. The way avenue seems to read that is that 0 is the beginning of the clip and 127 is the end. So, scratching works BUT if I take my hand off the knob when it is at say, 30 and then the clip plays out to say 80, when I grab the knob again to scratch it jumps back to the position where I last let go. It seems like I would have to send some sort of signal back to the controller to let it know where the playhead currently is. Is this possible?

Also, the controller says that these knobs are infinite pots, but it stops at the end of its range. This means that if I want to scratch on the seam of a video loop, I can't. Once it gets to 0 or 127 it cant go any further.

And finally, if the clips are different lengths it makes it difficult to scratch them the same. IE a longer clip will scratch farther with the same physical twisting of the knob.

I guess my question is, is there anyway to map out the scratching to make it act a bit more like an actual turntable? Maybe by controlling two different parameters at once. I would like to buy a midi turntable to scratch eventually, but I would like to figure out how all this works before I sink money into it.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

EDIT: I keep reading about something called relative mode. This seems like it might be the solution to my problems. Can some one explain to me what that is?

dradutu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: How Do You Scratch Video?

Post by dradutu »

infinite doesn't reffer to incremental value, just to the fact that the turning on the hardware could go forever even though the value has reched the limit.
you should look into the settings for the mapping, the mapping is much more than assigning a button to a function.
changing the mode from absolute to relative would do the trick. that way the knob will relate to the position of the playhead on the clip as starting position. you might also want to change the stepping for the values and so on, depending on how fast or accurate you want your scratches to be.
another advice would be to get a nanokontrol or icontrol, inexpensive and portable, both sliders and faders [and some buttons for what it's worth]

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: How Do You Scratch Video?

Post by HerrNieDa »

in resolume 2 you are able to set keyboard shortcuts for next/prev. frame
works great with a shuttle controller ;)
would be nice if resolume3 would have a function like this :idea:
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)