Dual Graphics Cards?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
rpacker
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Dual Graphics Cards?

Post by rpacker »

I would like to know if it will improve Resolume performance if you are using dual graphics cards, one for the application and one for the projection output. I have heard that you shouldn't have both the application output and the video output share the same graphics card. Is this true? Also, if you use two graphics cards on one computer, does this diminish the processing of each. Each graphics card takes up two slots on a Mac.

Thanx.
Mac Pro 8-core, 14 Gb ram, ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card, AJA Kona Lhe

ridiculoid

Re: Dual Graphics Cards?

Post by ridiculoid »

I asked a similar question here once, the answer was that Avenue does all processing on the main card. If there is a second card, any output is a duplicate of information from the first card. So, that would suggest that a second card won't improve performance through sharing the load, it just gives you more outputs to play with.

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

What FPS are you getting and what is the res of the clips your playing?

rpacker

Post by rpacker »

I am using two instances of a single 720p clip in DXV format. Depending on which graphics card I am using for the projection output, I either get 20fps or around 50fps. The faster card is delivering the slower rate for some odd reason, so I am wondering if using two graphics cards causes problems, and if I should just use one.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I have heard that you shouldn't have both the application output and the video output share the same graphics card. Is this true?
In short, no, it is not true. There is no problem with using a single output for both the app and the video out, it is actually the suggested and preferred way. Adding more GPUs to the mix will not increase performance.

In fact, we even recommend using Matrox Triple or DualHeads when you want to have multiple outputs. When you absolutely, positively need to use multiple GPU, try to at least get the same model and make.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

Joris

rpacker

Post by rpacker »

Thanks so much for the clarification. There seems to be little or no published information about the use of graphics cards for multimedia performance and projection. I think someone needs to write a book!

jbarro

Post by jbarro »

Hello. I just bought my second ATI HD 5770 for my Mac Pro. I thought that it was better than use a Matrox Triple Head.
May I combine two ATI HD 5770 card with maybe one or two matrox triple head to reach the maximum Arena composition resolution 8.192x8.192? is that crazy?

GeeEs
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by GeeEs »

Good luck with that resolution... I don't think any PC can deliver such amount of pixels rendered in realtime these days :), not even with a SSD.. But i hope i'm wrong :)

As stated above, Dual graphics cards won't help you performancewise, while Avenue/Arena uses one GPU.

Personally i think you only benefit from SLI/Crossfire if the fastest high-end card on the market these days is NOT fast enough for your software/game/program. That said, you need also software that fully support SLI/Crossfire, and -as said- unfortunately Avenue is not that kind of software.
In some cases though, it can be nice to use SLI/Crossfire when the price for 2 older/slower models is lower than the price for 1 brand new fast GPU...

Why do you think dual GPU is better then Matrox?? I'm using a Matrox Triplehead for 1 year now with dual and triplehead setups... no sweat! Works great! Every time again.
desktop: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM (GVP34GB1600C9DC), NVidia GTX 560
laptop: Windows 7 home premium 32 bit, Core2duo 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, NVidia 9600m GT

jbarro

Post by jbarro »

ummm, I bought my second Ati HD BEFORE know that Resolume only uses one GPU. I guessed Matrox is better for notebook config, after all, the Mac pro allows you to install two Ati, so I prefered to use internal cards than external like matrox triple head. maybe I was wrong... :shock:
anyway, I hope is possible to use just ONE Ati conected to TWO matrox triple head, one to each mini display port, that means 6.144 x 4.608 output in 6 different 1024x 768 I guess.... if not, I'm going to come back to Dataton Watchout! and I don't want to!

GeeEs
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by GeeEs »

In this thread some users are testing codec performance results, also with some extended setups. It seems that 2 matrox dualheads on one card worked well on Avenue 3 on 4000 px (but is still a bit jerky on 8000 px horizontal resolution in Avenue/Arena 4 beta....)

http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic ... rox#p33042
desktop: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM (GVP34GB1600C9DC), NVidia GTX 560
laptop: Windows 7 home premium 32 bit, Core2duo 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, NVidia 9600m GT