Computer Spec

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Tecno`
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Computer Spec

Post by Tecno` »

Hi guys,

I realise that these sort of posts are fairly regular here but things are moving on all the time.

I am currently looking to upgrade my computer for Resolume. I do not use a laptop but use a flight-cased rack-mount PC due to upgradability and using multiple outputs.

1. Firstly any suggestions on a rack-mount case suitable for touring or a good desktop case that can be flight-cased?

2. Processor - AMD or Intel? I would imagine that i7 is the way to go.
Does the amount of cores make any difference to Resolume? The i7 2600K benches much better than even the i7 990 and is vastly cheaper but is 6 cores better than 4 when accounting for the price difference

3. Graphics card - ATI or NVidia. two cards for multiple outputs or one card and a Matrox dual head to go? Also if I got one NVidia card and kept my current GTX 260 for extra outputs would I be taking a performance hit?

4. I already two Vertex 2 SSD drives for content and OS but would say a Vertex 3 make a big difference?

5. Memory - I take it this is a no brainer - not a priority but get as much as you can afford after graphics / processor.

I think this is everything for now.

Thanks,

Tim

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Computer Spec

Post by Tschoepler »

first off: any more details on what your style, setup, aims are, would be helpful.

1. nope
2. I'd go for Intel but that is a fanboy and money discussion ;) The cores don't matter for now as Avenue only adresses one. Maybe the guys at Resolume HQ got something in petto? Are you planning to use that machine as a workstation as well? Then I'd say get as many cores as possible :D
3. As I just mentioned in a previous post on Matrox' TripleHead2Go the cards from nVidia do support higher resolutions on these units (3 x fullHD compared to 3 x 1280x1024). Most ATI cards however have four outputs of which three can be used simultaneously (eg. 2 x DVI Beamer and 1 x display port attached to a monitor). And there is even one fancy card with six display ports (look for "eyefinity 6 edition").
4. Don't know. I guess the difference won't be as serious as comparing HDD with SSD.
5. As Avenue is not 64bit it can't adress more than 2GB of RAM (I think it was 1.75Gb but who cares). However it does take advantage of more VRAM.

Of course there are many more details to consider. But I would need more details about your system etc. for those.

Geez! I hope this was all correct :lol: it's late. Good night.
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

Hey Tim,

Just a little hint. Resolume 4 is due out soon and it help to hold back a little. Still waiting to hear a lot of the new features from the guys at the Res HQ but it may be an idea to wait and see.

Is it quite an urgent project your working on?

Cheers
Basic

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Hi Tecno,

to answer your number one.

I'm using the 4098-1...and I'm very contently with this pc housing.

Inter-Tech 19" IPC 4098-1 4U black
http://www.computeruniverse.net/product ... chwarz.asp

Inter-Tech IPC-4129L black
http://www.computeruniverse.net/product ... -4129l.asp

Greetz
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

juLiE

Post by juLiE »

Since the new release of Resolume Avenue & Arena 4, have the specs for PC changed?
Minimum system requirements
PC: ATI Radeon 9600 or later. NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 or later. 1GB RAM.
Like Tecno, I plan on upgrading too (for Resolume & other) and based on Tschoepler reply, could R-Team verify those specs or at least post any updated info please ? Merci.

Some of my questions below can be answered by Tschoepler reply to Tecno, but what about the new version ?
I plan on buying Lenovo ThinkPad W520:
1) Processor: quad core i7 2630QM. Is this ok or i5 with 2 cores and higher frequency is needed ?
2) Memory: 4GB enough ?
3) Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M 2GB memory. Any recommendation there (or any card is ok) ?

Thanx in advance.
Julie
2013 - Present: Dell Inspiron 7720 laptop, Win 7 sp1, Nividia GeForce GT 650M
2008 - 2012: Dell Vostro 1700 laptop, Win XP sp3, Nividia GeForce 8600M GT
2004 - 2008: Mini PC ITX...
Official Website: http://www.juliemeitz.com

HerrNieDa

Post by HerrNieDa »

@Julie the Quadro 1000m looks quiet good!
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Qua ... 317.0.html

but maybe a gpu with 256bit memory interface would perform better in higher resolutions.

@Thread
look at the hardware&codec test results...
i would recommend a gtx580 or better wait for a gtx690, also you can grab an old gtx285.
ati is also a good choice, for me drivers working better, but had better performance with high-end nvidia chips.

intel dual or amd quad core should be quiet enough to run resolume if you use dxv codec... never had a full load on my cpu with r3. if you also want to use it for renderings, take a intel quad core or higher ;)

also memory speed (ddr3) is not uninteresting i think, but did'n tested it if it really makes a difference.
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

juLiE

Post by juLiE »

Thank you very much for your reply HerrNieDa :)

Also, I will check out the "hardware + codec tests" thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8441

Have a good day!
Julie

HerrNieDa

Post by HerrNieDa »

also note that the quadro drivers are a little different. I was reading problems here on the forum with quadro-laptops. maybe you should check out if it really works, but normally there should be a driver release which works ;)
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

Tschoepler

Post by Tschoepler »

To get a good overview on todays laptop GPUs have a look here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison ... 130.0.html. Especially good for finding cards with 256bit memory bus.

edit: I just surfed (wooha oldskool :lol:) the net for a case thats handy but not a laptop and not coercively a 19". And I came across the PC-Q08 : http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... =68&g=spec
It's got space for an ATX power supply and a gpu card with a length of up to 30cm/11.81in (should serve most recent cards). I plan to get one of these and build a system on top. Review to come. For now maybe read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/min ... 814-4.html mmhh… maybe there should be a sticky post for cases? anyone, anyone? bueler? ;)
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

juLiE

Post by juLiE »

HerrNieDa wrote:also note that the quadro drivers are a little different. I was reading problems here on the forum with quadro-laptops. maybe you should check out if it really works, but normally there should be a driver release which works ;)
(It's now 2016...Thanks HerrNieDa, I researched the forums regarding issues).
I'm interested in knowing any Resolume Arena users successfully using Nvidia Quadro laptops + one's specs (I'm aware of the Resolume benchmarks list). Thanks in advance.