Low Latency USB screen capture?.

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Borris_yeltzun
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Low Latency USB screen capture?.

Post by Borris_yeltzun »

Hiya resoluming folk,

I have been trolling my ass across the internet in search of a suiteable USB capture device that can accept a digital/analogue (digital prefered),get the signal to my lappy without any frame loss or latency issues and work with resolume. alas after lots of searching around i am still very confused and uncertain as to which direction i should take.
Am currently using a hp envy 17 with 8gb of ram, ded gfx card and a ssd with win7 64.

- a black magic shuttle wont work with my envy's usb 3 chipset.
- the other black magic products like the h264 pro dont seem compatible or suitable for what i require (latency issues)
- the matrox gear will not work with my lappy either due to the lack of express port
- am unable to get a clear answer as to whether the hauppage pvr's work with resolume, do u guys know if this works? ?
- the DVI2USB and DVI2USB Solo from epiphan look very good although afew latency issues, also am unsure if they work with resolume.
- have a also had a look into the canopus, aja, Aver and motu product ranges but... bleh :?

i have a $~1500ish budget..., if you guys could suggest to me my best option/direction for a 'USB' capture device that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
-luke

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Low Latency USB screen capture?.

Post by Joris »

It's a shame that both the Matrox and the BMD products don't work for you, as they are the most reliable and versatile in this category.

The only USB capture device I've seen in action from your list is the Epiphan VGA2USB box (I see now that's not even the DVI2USB that's on your list :( ). So I'm afraid we can't be much help to you on this, maybe some other users have good experiences with other devices?

olivepixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by olivepixel »

I have the exact same problem. After much trawling on the Intensity Shuttle I bought it (despite a warning on this forum) because it looked like my USB controller was fine – the motherboard chipset however was not and so I’m left with a useless plastic box. It does seem that a banner on their product page saying ‘chances are this will not work with your laptop’ would make sense, there seem to be huge numbers of people with the same issue around the internet.

I’m also interested in the Hauppauge products; anyone with any experience?

In the end I went with the Logitech Pro 9000 webcam which does a good job in low light (for the price). Annoyingly it seems that only one will work in Resolume at a time, although multiple 9000s will work in other cam software.

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

normally all Pinnacle and AverMedia Devices run in Resolume (haven't heard from one which won't work).
Pinnacle requires the Studio Software to activate the Device and the delay seems a bit more than my aver media card (using pinnacle studio usb700, pctv110i and aver media captureHD, also read the sd model works fine). AverMedia CaptureHD has really good latency, there are also usb-sticks from this manufactor, and also a HD model http://geizhals.at/eu/618238
Drivers are Windows only for both manufactors.
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

olivepixel

Post by olivepixel »

HerrNieDa wrote:normally all Pinnacle and AverMedia Devices run in Resolume (haven't heard from one which won't work).
Pinnacle requires the Studio Software to activate the Device and the delay seems a bit more than my aver media card (using pinnacle studio usb700, pctv110i and aver media captureHD, also read the sd model works fine). AverMedia CaptureHD has really good latency, there are also usb-sticks from this manufactor, and also a HD model http://geizhals.at/eu/618238
Drivers are Windows only for both manufactors.
That's good to know, thanks for the info! I'll look into the CaptureHD and their USB sticks.

Borris_yeltzun

Post by Borris_yeltzun »

purchased a darkcrystal hd, arrived last week, tried most of saturday to get a feed into arena on my envy 17
.... :cry: was very unsuccessfull.

arena can see the pvr device in the sources menu and i can drop the device in a deck but when i select it to play or preview arena crashes entirely, with or without video being sent to the pvr. :(

i used a ypbpr component to vga cable, outputting vga from my netbook into the component input on back of the dark crystal.
the netbook can see the pvr and im pretty sure the green and red lights flashing on the pvr meant it could see the netbooks output.
i tried various resolutions but alas..... no bingo.,,FACEPALM!.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!1

...i have tried almost all versions of the device driver but still no change.
a VGA to component transcoder is coming in the post,,, maybe this'll help... maybe not, i will test the s-video and compososite inputs tonight to see if just my vga to ypbpr cable setup.

has anyone else had any luck with this product in avenue or arena ?

gsbe

Post by gsbe »

Any luck getting multiple webcams to work with Resolume? I've got a few plugged in and while Resolume Avenue 4 shows all the cameras that are plugged in it seems to be only able to access one per session.

Any help with that would be appreciated. How do you use multiple camera inputs with Resolume 4?
olivepixel wrote:In the end I went with the Logitech Pro 9000 webcam which does a good job in low light (for the price). Annoyingly it seems that only one will work in Resolume at a time, although multiple 9000s will work in other cam software.

Borris_yeltzun

Post by Borris_yeltzun »

Ive had abit of a play around with the dark crystal hd and have ascertained the following:

capture from ypbpr, composite, s-video works fine with the supplied software 'total media extreme 2'
can record capture to a .ts file from the total media software
a vga to component transcoder is not required to capture vga via the ypbpr port, a simple component to vga cable will suffice.
signal captured from component source only captures at 720x480 not 1080i ,.... *facepalm* , will try again tonight with a few more different devices.

does anyone know how to get a .ts file to play within resolume???
i tried dragging it in yesterday and arena froze its titties up.
..will try again tonight usuing vidblaster.

also multiple webcams work fine for me, give vidblaster a whirl.

gsbe

Post by gsbe »

unfortunately Vidblaster is Windows only...

asperi

Post by asperi »

Any one use the Blackmagic Design H.264 PRO Recorder? How is the delay or does it work at all? I think the Blackmagic Intensity products are the way to go, just that am using a laptop, with only one usb 3.0.. Looking to add a second HD video in, seems anything running in the express card slot has delay.
edit- delay will be present with the h.264. at least a second or two