Retina MBP and Resolume Arena

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Retina MBP and Resolume Arena

Post by Shorties »

bildwerk wrote:
vj granda wrote:It Can run 3 displays...
awsome! so the next question is, can it run 3 tripleheads? :D
Probably, but if you are dealing with three huge resolutions probably not that smoothly.

But I have been wondering since thunderbolt is based on the PCIe technology, and has the same bandwidth, an external graphics card should be possible, it would be awesome if hardware developers started developing external graphical processing units for thunderbolt.

gregsully
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gregsully »

Major points to the first MBP retina user to post some performance specs on here.. Single screen. multi screen.. etc..

Personally I have some reservations that its not exactly the highest GFX card on board and if its already running a 2800 pixel GUI screen.. how much is left over for any multi-screen action?

skulpture
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by skulpture »

I will be ordering one soon, still running Arena 4.1 on demo but I will happily record some stuff and give some feedback.

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by ReggieUnderground »

Some practical experience.... My specs are: Retina MBP 2.7Ghz, 16GB ram, 512 SSD, Resolume 4.1.1. I've hooked up an HDTV plus PJ to my Retina MBP using one Thunderbolt and the HDMI port. Performance was fine running a couple layers with a few effects, then some mask/crop on the output config. I can try heavier tests next week.

My advice: If you are running very large screen resolutions (with TripleHeads or whatever) or doing complex mapping via Advanced Output, I'd recommend getting the regular MacBook Pro. The GPU can crunch your media instead of your built-in display. If you are just playing house parties with a couple screens and have converted your media to Resolume's codec, you can get by even with the Retina overhead. It's a crying shame that Apple didn't add a second Thunderbolt to the "old chassis" MacBook Pro.