Composite video output solution for Macbook Retina

Bro, does your rig even lift?
jbarro
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Composite video output solution for Macbook Retina

Post by jbarro »

Hi folks.

I've was considering to buy the new MacBook Retina display to replace my old 2008 MBP. Despite of the price I think the two display port and HDMI output gives a great solution for Vjs. Although I'm wondering about how to deal to connect to a Edirol V4 and similars, which needs a composite input for work.

After surfing a while on the forums I've discovered this...

The minidisplay port to dvi connected to the apple dvi to composite/svideo (which is the cable I use at the moment in the MBP 2008) doesnt work at all, due to digital to analog issues. First decepcion.

Solution: Minidisplay port to vga connected to a VGA to composite scaler.
Pros: looks that it works in general. Kind of cheap, you can find not very expensive scalers.
Contra: Another bulk to carry on. Probably you need to plug into a power socket. Some people report about flicker issues, low quality, etc... Depends of the model. Of course you can buy a Matrox or extron swichter, but prepare to make your credit card burn.

Solution: MBP Retina HDMI connected to HDMI to composite adaptor/converter
I didn't see too much feedback about this. Is possible to get a converter for less than 100 euros, but I'm just afraid to buy it and finally find a surprise like "the apple HDMI protocol is not compatible with this hardware" or something like that.

Personally I trust more on the HDMI to composite solution, with not vga cable involved.

Any thoughts?

Cheers and happy vjing!

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Composite video output solution for Macbook Retina

Post by pfelberg »

I do not work with edirol or any similar equipment, thoug I´ve been searching and looking for the same solution, since sometimes I am required to output to composite.
I got the SEWELL PC to TV converter, that works also with my MacBook Pro.
As you mentioned, quality is barely acceptable.
I do not intend to upgrade my Mac soon, but if there´s another solutions I am all ears.

jbarro
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by jbarro »

Hi.

I checked the SEWELL PC to TV converter and looks quite good, and the price is acceptable, but I think I will try with a simple HDMI to RCA cable, just 10euros on Amazon.

Thanks for the reply.

bildwerk
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by bildwerk »

hdmi to rca is not in the hdcp specification - so it may work or may not.

if we need it, we have a kramer vp-501xl to scale down vga->svideo/rca - quality is good compared to cheap ones.