Akai APC40 - need help

Bro, does your rig even lift?
easyjoey
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Akai APC40 - need help

Post by easyjoey »

I am running Resolume 4.0.1 (because I can't get 4.1.1 to work yet) on an iMac. It runs great but I simply cannot get the APC40 to work. I understand that the people at Resolume have made it so the APC 40 should work directly with Resolume without the Bome software and other thrid party software. For whatever reason I cannot get this control to do anything.

In my preferences, under Midi is see the APC and all of the boxes are checked as well as the "alternative ableton live mode" is selected.

Can anyone provide me step by step instructions to get this working please?

THanks!

Joe

Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Akai APC40 - need help

Post by Shorties »

Have you mapped it out? It isn't automatically mapped out you have to customize your control layout. Go to "Mapping" in the menu bar and edit either the application or composition midi map. Select something in Resolume you want to be mapped to your controller, then hit the button or twist the knob/move the slider on the APC40 that you want to be mapped to it.

easyjoey

Post by easyjoey »

Thank you! I guess I thought it was already mapped out. I am in the process of setting the map and it seems to be working nicely. However I have a couple questions.

1. When setting the map, only 1 layer is highlighted for editing. Personally, I would like to edit each layer sperately. For instance, this APC40 have numerous faders. I would like to have each fader to control the opacity or the "V" of each layer. If I understand this setup correctly, I will have to use the same fader for each layer?

2. I mapped 3 sperate buttons to engage layers 1, 2 and 3. I also mapped out 16 buttons to represent 16 clips in each layer. However, say I selected layer 2 and then clip 9... layers 1,2 and 3 all select clip 9. Has anyone else experienced this? This cannot be right.

It would be nice it there was a place to upload maps so people can share them.

Thanks

Joe
Last edited by easyjoey on Fri Sep 14, 2012 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

easyjoey

Post by easyjoey »

Also, can you get the lights to engage like others have using the midi splitters? I think it would be really nice is the lights of the selected clips were lit.

Thanks again

Joe

Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Shorties »

easyjoey wrote:Thank you! I guess I thought it was already mapped out. I am in the process of setting the map and it seems to be working nicely. However I have a question.

When setting the map, only 1 layer is highlighted for editing. Personally, I would like to edit each layer sperately. For instance, this APC40 have numerous faders. I would like to have each fader to control the opacity or the "V" of each layer. If I understand this setup correctly, I will have to use the same fader for each layer?

It would be nice it there was a place to upload maps so people can share them.

Thanks

Joe

When you are doing the application midi map, look in "Application MIDI Map" box in the bottom left corner, and switch the focus from Layer, to Deck, then your mapping will no longer limited to the active layer. And It should light up the active clips on the APC 40.

easyjoey

Post by easyjoey »

Thanks so much for your help. That really did help. However, I am having a different issue.

Now that I could map the deck, I seem to be having some cross-talk issues. If I have 3 faders for layers 1,2 and 3, sometimes fader 1 will alter the opacity of layers 1 and 3 together. Oddly, if I choose faders say, 7,8 and 9, this does not happen and everything works correctly. Also, I sometimes still have the same problem when I select clip 3 of layer one, all #3 clips on all three tracks get selected. Again, this does not happen 100% of the time. I wonder if this is my controller acting up?

Oh, one other thing. If I choose a dial to be mapped as something like the speed of a clip, well it jumps all over the place. I cannot gradually dial up or down the value. It jumps around in an uncontrolable manner.

strange events for sure.

Thanks again!

Joe

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Now that I could map the deck, I seem to be having some cross-talk issues. If I have 3 faders for layers 1,2 and 3, sometimes fader 1 will alter the opacity of layers 1 and 3 together.
Make sure you don't have any mappings left in layer focus.
Oh, one other thing. If I choose a dial to be mapped as something like the speed of a clip, well it jumps all over the place. I cannot gradually dial up or down the value. It jumps around in an uncontrolable manner
Are you on version 4.1.1? There was a bug with midi output on previous versions.

mrkoehler

Post by mrkoehler »

easyjoey wrote:
2. I mapped 3 sperate buttons to engage layers 1, 2 and 3. I also mapped out 16 buttons to represent 16 clips in each layer. However, say I selected layer 2 and then clip 9... layers 1,2 and 3 all select clip 9. Has anyone else experienced this? This cannot be right.

Joe
I wanted to follow up on this because I was having the same issue.

If you want to only select clips in your engaged layer, map buttons 1-16 under the "layer" tab. Then switch to the deck tab to complete your mapping.

I'm sure you figured this out already, but I wanted to clarify for anyone else that might have this problem.