The ratio of ratios

Bro, does your rig even lift?
tweekskratch
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

The ratio of ratios

Post by tweekskratch »

Hey everyone, did a search and didn't see much on this topic. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok so I'm wondering what everyone's thinking about aspect ratios for projectors. It seems that nearly everything out there that's NOT a home theatre projector uses a 4:3 aspect ratio. Some of the higher-end projectors are using a 16:10 ratio, which is leaning towards the ratio of a mac computer (originally started by the imac if I'm not mistaken) which makes this topic even more complex.

The simple fact is that 4:3 is dominating the scene and the price range right now, or so it seems. But as a designer looking to buy some new projectors, what is the best route to go? 16:9, 4:3, 16:10?

Another issue is rentals. Most of the shops in my area specialize in corporate events. This means that they currently have inventory of primarily 4:3 projectors with thousands of lumens behind them. After a few conversations with them, they seem to think that things will stay in a 4:3 ratio in the future. Anyone have a different opinion on this?

Thanks,
Tweek

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: The ratio of ratios

Post by cosmowe »

Yes I ;)

80% of my VJ jobs with projectors are 4:3
50% of my corporate jobs with projectors are 16:9
the other 50% of my corporate jobs with projectors have a total different aspect ratio.

The best route will be a 16:9 projector which is compatible with a 4:3 input signal.

Greetz
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

tweekskratch
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by tweekskratch »

Thanks cosmowe.

The majority of what I will be doing is building projection. I guess in that case it would depend on the shape of the building to determine the appropriate ratio...

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

...and the distance projector -> building and the optics you use with your projector.
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

John McGeoch
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by John McGeoch »

Hi - as mentioned it`s not just the aspect ratio that is important, but also the lenses and the pixel grid. To do buildings you will normally need a range of lenses from .8 ( wide angle ) to 4 or 5 : 1 ( long zoom ). At three or four lenses per projector and £700 to £1300 per lens this isn`t a cheap exercise. You will also need a minimum of 5K lumens ( a couple of these can be stacked if necessary). 4:3 ratio is the legacy ratio from TV and this usually translates into XGA dimensions, that is 1024 x 768. This is ok if your building is that shape. If it`s landscape then you end up not using lots of your pixels cutting the effective resolution dramatically. It`s of course vice versa if you have a 16:9 HD projector and a square building , however, although you will lose pixels there will many more in real terms because of the resolution. HD projectors of 5K and above have finally got down to manageable prices so it seems much better to invest in them . We have recently been going through your same dilemma - although we already have several XGA projectors - and in the end went for a couple of the Panasonic PT - EZ570Es to start to move into the HD projection realm.