VJ's - What do you call yourself?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

VJ's - What do you call yourself?

Post by VJ Nexus »

I guess my question here is how do various vj's describe what they do to the general public. I find it difficult, especially in the midwest, usa, where there are very few of us, to describe in one sentence what it is a vj does. The term "vj" reminds people of those jack asses playing music videos on mtv - that's not the image i want.

To boil it down - if you had to make a business card with your name, and a phrase describing yourself, what would it be?

A few i've come up with:
"live video projectionist"
"visual media alchemist"

I think this is an interesting topic - please contribute!

vjgern
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by vjgern »

"VJ Video Jockey, by analogy with Disc Jockey or DJ"

Hope this helps

VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJ Nexus »

something quick and catchy though... not so much to explain it to a person, but something for a flyer or business card.

eg.

VJ NeXus
Live Video Projectionist

almost like a signature - i hope this makes sense :)

[Edited on 4-10-2006 by NexusIntent]

Crowny

Post by Crowny »

This is a grey area for most of us I think. The problem with VJs calling themselves Vjs is that it's only part of the picture. There is the other side where we sit for hours building animations, shooting our own footage and editing it for use in a live performance. This is what gives us our own look and style without always using stock video footage that everyone uses. I personally try and create as much of my own material as possible.
So maybe the description should be something more about the experience.
I go by the name of Flux so something like:

FLUX
Visual Chemistry

Just a quick idea but that type of area.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

Here in europe the term "live cinema" is used more and more these days. I think it,s a good term to use for live audiovisual performances. Cinema has a long history and is seen as a serious art form. VJ-ing is usually more associated with entertainment so it,s mostly used by vjs/artists who would like their work to be taken more seriously.

[Edited on 5-10-2006 by bart]

vj_jasper

Post by vj_jasper »

how about..

'spontaneous movie combustion'

for me, vj'ing is live video art. there is editing going on, and also a painterly approach to the mix of colours, and a designer-aesthetic in terms of screen framing, overlays to create new ambiences, etc.
sometimes it is high quality footage in one channel, and moving graphic icons in the other channel of the mixer... motion graphics, filmed content (whether original or sampled), parameter play with live video effects... it all adds up to a mix of elements..

maybe... 'motion graphic performance' ?

coolhandloop
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by coolhandloop »

it is indeed hard to nail it down what we do. in dublin there is only a handful of us! when u say vj to people they think u sed dj

juLiE

Post by juLiE »

Originally posted by bart
..."live cinema"...Cinema has a long history and is seen as a serious art form....
i agree.

and speaking of cinema, director peter greenaway is now VJing with a touch screen! for more info, visit here: http://www.notv.com/

p.s. whether you mix with your own or others work (or both), it's how you make it come alive that counts...influences surround us, and we are others...

bises-peace-olah, juLiE

vj_jasper

Post by vj_jasper »

thankyou juLIE, that is so incredibly cool. great article, a very important gig, and now it will be a world tour in 2007... a must-see. this is live cinema for sure.

i would humbly suggest that there are other styles of vj-ing going on too, in the sense that some vj's prefer a more ''flashy" style, triggering single graphics, and others create animations and loop them rhythmically. cartoons do not have the same sense of importance that cinema does, yet whatever elements are being used, imho vj-ing transcends them, as it is a new and the most 'current' and 'hip' artform. okay 'symphonie diagonale' was produced in 1925, but anyway.

juLiE

Post by juLiE »

Originally posted by vj_jasper
thankyou juLIE...'symphonie diagonale' was produced in 1925, but anyway.
you're welcome, glad you found it interesting :-)

we're just at the fore-front of VJing (imo) now that software has improved (i'm coming from the 16mm sprocket damage and VCR glitch-infested days). it has other potentials yet to be explored or that are being explored by some like greenaway and my dear friend VJ Dennis Dezenn of Digital Borax (and i have had similar "live editing" of film/s ideas too, yet to be manifested).

and yes, from dada ("symphonie diagonale" 1924) to norman mc claren ("boogie-doodle" 1948, "begone dull care" 1949, etc.), people have been exploring image/sound...

for "symphonie diagonole" clip:
------------------------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mvDGcu4O3v8

for more info about norman mc claren (my fave):
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.nfb.ca/animation/objanim/fr/ ... oeuvre.php

bises-peace-olah, juLiE