Resolume 3 Synched to Ableton Live ?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
antonio913
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Resolume 3 Synched to Ableton Live ?

Post by antonio913 »

First I would like to say that Resolume 3 is a great application. I have ableton Live and I would like to have Clips from resolume be controlled with ableton (Rewire?). you guys should put together a video on setting up ableton to resolume3.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Resolume 3 Synched to Ableton Live ?

Post by gpvillamil »

You can do this very easily.

On Mac OS X, MIDI-enabled apps should appear in the MIDI control panel, you can just send MIDI from Ableton to Resolume via the Ableton I/O controls.

On Windows, set up the MIDIOX MIDI Yoke drivers. Set Resolume to receive from a virtual MIDI port, and send MIDI from Ableton to that port.

I'm using IPMidi (http://www.nerds.de/en/ipmidi.html) for this, it works fine. I can run Ableton and Resolume on the same machine, or on two machines, connected over WiFi.

antonio913

Post by antonio913 »

Thanks for the response

Resolume 3 is not listed in the Midi panel in Ableton. Currently I'm using an application called JAM (Just Add Music) . Still in beta stage. Check out this demo so that you get an idea what I would like to do with resolume3.

link
http://www.vimeo.com/1526673

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

Set Ableton to output to the IAC driver, and set Resolume to take input from the IAC driver. That should work.

antonio913

Post by antonio913 »

Thank you

melka

Post by melka »

I'm not sure that you'll be able to do everything you want with just midi.
Actually, i'm working on a custom software written with processing that allows me to take midi input from ableton (using midiYoke), translate it into OSC messages and send it to another computer running Resolume via an ethernet cable.
Works quite nicely, and I can, for exemple, use the pitch of a note to trigger a clip, then use it's velocity to adjuste the alpha.

I think that's the best way to go.

sburke1
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by sburke1 »

Hey Melka, that sounds really usefull!

I am on a mac however. Is there anything like this for mac? Maybe a max patch? as I own that but am not a master and could not program it myself.

I recently saw the news about the clinics in amsterdam that are aimed towards Ableton and Resolume working together. This is my main area of interest as I still getting shaky midi clock via the IAC bus when I try to sync with my friend's MBP. Does anyone know where I could find out more about Live working with Resolume, especially in terms of syncing to 2 together?

pure_angles

Post by pure_angles »

I think resolume has issues with syncing via midi. it always has severe jitter on my computers. pretty sure this is an issue with resolume. you could possibly sync (slave) both ableton and resolume to an external clock source

software - midi clock - http://osx.iusethis.com/app/midiclock
hardware - Big Ben - http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/big-ben.php

samcous

Post by samcous »

Hi,
when i assign a midi clock in ableton 8 (or in cubase) at 120, in resolume avenue the clock modulate from 119,xxx to 120, xxx.

My video is scaled to my midi clock and jump in the time for synchronising again, is it possible to stretch the video without jumping forward on the layer or having a stable midi clock.

in the future is it possible that you include a midi out or juste a midi clock out in resolume 3.

thanks

doublethink

Post by doublethink »

I am using resolume3 synced with Ableton through midi with some success -

Had a problem in that although I can see the midi click blip in reolume, the resolume BPM does not follow UNLESS you start the Ableton song from the very start.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Also, Ableton is running at 135bpm and Resolume translates this to 134.966bpm.

?