trigger effects

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

trigger effects

Post by Rene »

In respect of how to apply effects live, R3 follows a completely different approach than R2 does. In R2 it was possible to assign a MIDI key to an effect - every time I hit the key, the effect loads into the currently active effect slot.

In R3 there are these effect chains at composition, layer and clip level. Has anybody experience in how to trigger a certain effects spontaneously? Let's say quickly apply the mirror effect to the composition and control some parameters via MIDI? - Best practise? :roll:

bart
Team Resolume

Re: trigger effects

Post by bart »

Load your effect and then assign a keyboard key or midi note to the Bypass (B) button of the effect using a direct mapping via the mapin menu.

Hope this helps.

Rene

trigger effects / how to control parameters?

Post by Rene »

Hi bart,

My first thought was something like you've mentioned in your reply. Maybe I'm wrong, but in this case, I have to assign all effects to my composition and add the key mapping for the bypass switch. That's not comfortable, however manageable. But how can I use my MIDI controllers to change effect parameters? Is is possible to make a contextual assignment? Let's say, knob 1 controls always the opacity of the CURRENT effect? I'm not sure, but I think some kind of semantic mapping is needed for this approach?

VJYosh
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by VJYosh »

The ability to change the parameters of the currently active effects is missing a lot and for now makes me stay with version 2.41

is this going to change?

also, how do i save effects parameters after it has been changed?

Rene

Post by Rene »

VJYosh wrote:also, how do i save effects parameters after it has been changed?
Hi VJYosh,

you can safe the current effect parameters as presets. Just right click (top right corner of effect, next to bypass and remove button) the Preset and "save as". You'll find the preset of the effect in the Effects tab right under the effect itself. ;)

bart
Team Resolume

Re: trigger effects / how to control parameters?

Post by bart »

Rene wrote:I have to assign all effects to my composition and add the key mapping for the bypass switch.
Yes exactly, this is actually a better way to do it because to load/unload the effect all the time in resolume 2 causes instabillity and sometimes stutters the playback. In resolume 3, because an effect is allready loaded at the start with the composition it works much faster and more stable.
But how can I use my MIDI controllers to change effect parameters? Is is possible to make a contextual assignment? Let's say, knob 1 controls always the opacity of the CURRENT effect? I'm not sure, but I think some kind of semantic mapping is needed for this approach?
No it's not possible to do a contextual assignment on effects yet, only a direct mapping.

But what you can do is assign contextual mappings to the dials on the dashboards and link the appropriate effect parameters to the dials.

Rene

Re: trigger effects / how to control parameters?

Post by Rene »

bart wrote:But what you can do is assign contextual mappings to the dials on the dashboards and link the appropriate effect parameters to the dials.
Hi Bart,

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the difference between direct and contextual mapping when applied to the dashboard? (cannot test with MIDI at the moment) I thought there is one dashboard per tab. When I'm in contextual mapping mode I can assign different controllers at different tabs. *confused*

However by assigning "contextual mappings to the dials on the dashboards and link the appropriate effect parameters to the dials" all values (r.g opacity of all effects) change at the same time. (as it is not possible to select a specific effect, is it?) - even when an effect is bypassed, the opacity value is changed by using the dial. :?:

Sorry, I guess I didn't get something important !?

Rene

Post by Rene »

, but what is the difference between direct and contextual mapping when applied to the dashboard?
got it. Sometimes it takes a bit longer... :?