[fixed] masks and scaling

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
luz
Is taking Resolume on a second date

[fixed] masks and scaling

Post by luz »

hi,

how can i fix a mask on a layer, so it is not affected by the scaling of a video?
in my case i have a 1920*480 projection and i put a mask the same size on the layer.

if i turn on a video with 640*480 the mask changes to the size of the video.
in general changes of clip properties also change the mask on the layer.

is there a way to solve this?

(i want to put masks on several layers, also with different sizes of the clips, so they are not distorted)
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.1, 2,5GHz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 512MB, Edirol PCR-300, Ableton Live 8.0.5

bart
Team Resolume

Re: masks and scaling

Post by bart »

This is not yet possible, If you want a mask to stay put then it needs to be applied to the composition.

luz
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by luz »

ok, thanks.
would be nice, if this is possible in the future ;)
until then i'll create my clips in the size of the composition.
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.1, 2,5GHz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 512MB, Edirol PCR-300, Ableton Live 8.0.5

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

Yes this is a big problem with the current way the software works. Layers should be able to be a fixed size, and positioned within the composition space. Clips within layers should be able to scale to the layer size. At the moment these options are missing, this makes it almost impossible to really use resolume 3 for multi-screen compositions unless your willing to render all of your source clips into a specific size for the specific composition. I hope that we will see this addressed in an update soon as it is a serious limitation on the usability of the software currently.

This is my number one bug / feature with the current 3.0.1 version.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

You do not have to render all your clips at the same size, you can simply change the clip size at the clip properties. It's a bit more preparation work if your clips are not at the same size but it's totally doable.

sleepytom

Post by sleepytom »

yeah true but it is very inconvenient. Ideally I'd like to see each layer have a definable size and position. This would allow you to use the layers to arrange the layout of a composition and trigger any clip into the layer and have it automatically end up being the correct size and position for the composition.

With a triplehead2go for example i want to have a 4 layer composition arragnged as follows
layer 1 goes to the left screen,
layer 2 goes to the centre screen.
layer 3 goes to the right screen.
layer 4 spans all 3 screens.

I have a selection of abstract clips which work both as 4:3 aspect and 4:1 aspect - if i could use layer size control for the positioning then i could simply drag clips from layer to layer and always have the scale to the correct size and position within the 3 screen composition.
Clips should have a switch to auto scale to layer size. Ideally there would be and additional switch for maintaining the source aspect ratio, so that clips who's aspect ratio was different to the layer aspect would be letter boxed correctly.

Without these controls VJing in resolume becomes a 2 stage process where all the media must be loaded in advance and the properties of each clip adjusted to suite the composition. This is very alien to the way most people seem to work resolume, One of the main reasons that i'm interested in using Avenue is because of the access to large amount of media and the ability to load clips one the fly. Its not uncommon for me to be given media to playback during a show so being able to drop it into a composition and have it appear on the correct screen is pretty important.

The general GUI and design of Avenue is great and would be ideal for multiscreen performance if only these controls were available.

sleepytom

Post by sleepytom »

Any news on this?

I really want to use resolume 3 but I can't seriously consider it until these functions are available. If you could let me know if you have any intention of sorting out these issues i'd be super grateful, If not i guess i have to find another software to use :(

sorry to hassle you

lo-res

Post by lo-res »

one thing that would be cool would be an option to load multiple masks into a layer and be able to switch through them in the layer options window rather than dragging a mask file onto the layer each time you wish to change the mask. It would also be cool to BPM sync these masks into a sequence.

Something I have noticed is that layer masks are affected by the clip effect. Is there a way to get round this?

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

sleepytom wrote:Layers should be able to be a fixed size, and positioned within the composition space. Clips within layers should be able to scale to the layer size.
We had a long discussion about this this morning, we think we have found a good solution that we hope to implement asap. By adding an optional width and height parameter to each layer that overrides the clip width and height. By default this layer width and height will be disabled so it works the way it does now. But by optionally setting the layer width and height you can override the clip size and really position and scale a layer in a more reliable way, no matter what the size of the clips is that you are playing. If a layer has a certain size then all the clips playing in this layer will be scaled to this size.

This is not only handy for multi screen compositions but it also helps anyone who is playing clips with different sizes and wants to make sure they always will the displayed at the same size.

DAS BEN

Post by DAS BEN »

it would be great to have a mask folder, to drop into all your masks, like in resolume 2. it is a lot of work to set up all decks, or change a mask during a live show. i am using a lot soft masks as blending mode, to setup a forground layer and play with the background. to change the opacity of the mask is not the same as using a mask as a blending mode. this is a feature i really miss.