OSC manual

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
edwin
Team Resolume

Re: OSC manual

Post by edwin »

gpvillamil wrote: Hmmm - so I guess this is especially useful when the parameter is animated, since you can specify the range?
Otherwise, if you're just updating the value sending, say, 0.5 is the same as sending 0.0 0.5 1.0?
The BPM does work, very smoothly, thanks!
Yes the in and out points are indeed usefull when animating, of course the timeline of the clip is the most obvious case.
Just sending 0.5 is not exactly the same as sending 0.0 0.5 1.0 as the latter would set the in and out points too and would reset any changes you might have done to the in and out points. Just sending 0.5 only updates the current value.
If you only send 1 value the value is also relative to the in and out points, so if your inpoint is set to 0.2 and your outpoint to 0.8 you can still just send values between 0 and 1. Hope this make sense.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

edwin wrote:
gpvillamil wrote: Hmmm - so I guess this is especially useful when the parameter is animated, since you can specify the range?
Otherwise, if you're just updating the value sending, say, 0.5 is the same as sending 0.0 0.5 1.0?
The BPM does work, very smoothly, thanks!
Yes the in and out points are indeed usefull when animating, of course the timeline of the clip is the most obvious case.
Just sending 0.5 is not exactly the same as sending 0.0 0.5 1.0 as the latter would set the in and out points too and would reset any changes you might have done to the in and out points. Just sending 0.5 only updates the current value.
If you only send 1 value the value is also relative to the in and out points, so if your inpoint is set to 0.2 and your outpoint to 0.8 you can still just send values between 0 and 1. Hope this make sense.
Hmmm. Anyway of moving the in and out points without moving the playhead, then?

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

gpvillamil wrote:Hmmm. Anyway of moving the in and out points without moving the playhead, then?
No, you need to send either one or three values.

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

Any way to send OSC to currently selected layer or clip, or do you always have to specify a full address?

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

For now you will have to specify the whole address.
The next release will have support for sending OSC directly to the active clip or layer.

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

I've posted the Chaos Mode OSC patch in the Res 3 forum:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5239

inzieye
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by inzieye »

Hi everybody,

I would like to use TouchOSC with Resolume but I think I don't understand how can I do it. Maybe 'cos I don't understand very well english. Is it possible to configure a layout with TouchOSC editor and use it directly with Resolume without any other soft?

Thanks a lot for your help!

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

Yes, it is possible to use TouchOSC directly with Resolume without other software. (However, there are limitations).

Basically, when you create a layout in TouchOSC editor, you have a checkbox for "auto OSC". If you turn that off, you can define your own output string. You can replace it with a Resolume string, for example, which you can get either from the OSC feedback mode or from the manual.

However, there are some limitations: Some TouchOSC elements appear to send out two parameters (like the XY controller), whereas Resolume needs 1 or 3. Not quite clear on how the button presses work either.

You will have much more flexibility by using another program to mediate OSC, this will let you do things like switch between banks of parameters, implement smart feedback, etc. For a basic example, you could parse TouchOSC's xy command, and turn it into two separate fader type items for Resolume.

Two good options, both free, are Processing (Java based) and PD (like Max/MSP but free and Open Source).

inzieye

Post by inzieye »

Thanks for your help gpvillamil!

I'll try with your advice.

all the best

inzieye

Post by inzieye »

I'm still in trouble...

With Processing I can't use it because it tell me that "the package "oscP5" does not exist" but I put the OSCP5.jar file in the folder Processing/libraries. Am I wrong?

Is it easier with Osculator? Maybe I can buy it.

With Pure Data, I can run TouchOSC (I mean PD recognize my Ipod/TouchOSC signal but I'v got some problems for sending signal to Resolume. I use IAC Driver in the Audio/MIDI config of my Macbook and I activate in the output of PD and in the input of Resolume but nothing happen. When I use TouchOSC and try to configure MIDI mapping, nothing happen...

I hope I'm not boring you but If I find the solution, I would like to make a video tutorial for TouchOSC working with RESOLUME (through OSCULATOR, PD, Processing or whatever)

thanks!