AKAI APC 40 and Resolume Avenue

Bro, does your rig even lift?
daxx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

AKAI APC 40 and Resolume Avenue

Post by daxx »

Hi,

I'm planning to buy an Akai Apc 40 (http://www.akaipro.com/apc40) to use with resolume Avenue.

Has anyone tried one or has an Akai apc 40? Is it solid, does the knobs and pads are easy to use (smooth, ...)?

Currently I'm using a Korg MicroKontrol, but the apc 40 is better for resolume avenue I think.

shout please

thnx!

timfrick
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: AKAI APC 40 and Resolume Avenue

Post by timfrick »

I am potentially looking for this setup as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Tim

daxx

Post by daxx »

I have bought my APC, as soon as it arrives and I have used it a few times I'll give you my opinion about it:)

vjEN

Post by vjEN »

been browsing through the forum for awhile now, but when I saw this thread about the APC40 I had to register! I use one with Ableton in the studio, but I use it for running Resolume during gigs. I've been using it for about 4-5 months now, and it's worked out awesome. I run three layers, with the first three rows of buttons set to trigger clips and the corresponding scene launch buttons to select layers. then I've got cue points mapped to the clip stop buttons. some of the activator, solo, and record arm buttons select the blending mode and other are used to bypass effects. I'm currently using the faders to control brightness and contrast since I prefer to use the knobs to control the opacity. every other gig or so I switch around what the faders and knobs control as I discover new things. experiment and have fun!

daxx

Post by daxx »

@ vjEN,

do you use your APC40 standard out of the box or do you use some mapping software/Midi translator tools like Bome's midi translator or Midi pipe?

I've got a few questions about that in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=23814#p23814

grtz!

Sz&Sz

Post by Sz&Sz »

H everyone.

I just bought a Akai APC40 and I was very nervous to see if it would work with resolume. Im glad to say that It works fine!
I have started mapping the controller manually with "edit composition midi map" and "edit application midi map":
clip triggering, fades, stop layer playback and so on. Tonight I will hopefully get the knobs to work with the effects.

I'll maybe post a video to show you my settings later on.

There's only one (major) thing I would like to solved now, feedback!. It would be awesome to have my buttons light when the layer is active and so on.
http://www.szandsz.com
Sz&Sz
DJ & VISUALS

subvert

Post by subvert »

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a controller that gives me the possibility to actually access all the functions I'm using in Resolume, and finally decided to get an APC40, despite the ableton software handshake.

I got it yesterday, and I'm positively surprised. Now I signed up here to share my experiences with this controller, and maybe I can help someone out or somebody can give me a hand.

First off: Here is some general Information for Resolume Users about how the APC40 works without any modification. I found it pretty hard to find out what works and what don't just by looking through VJ forums alone, so maybe it will help someone decide to buy or not:

The mapping was a piece of cake, just editing the application & Composition MIDI Map inside resolume allows you to map nearly all controls by just clicking it & midi learn, like with any other controller.

Also, no problems with Knobs at all. After reading in different forums that LED Feedback for Knobs isn't quite decifered yet I was afraid they wouldn't indicate the position at all, but that's not the case. They work very well (they don't light all LEDs up like in Live, but they indicate the current position reliably).

The Track Control Knobs aren't paged in 4 banks outside of live, which leaves you with "only" 8 assignable knobs on the top right.

The Track Select Buttons work as Switchers for the 8 Device Control Knobs, which allows you to map up to 72 controls (8 tracks + master * 8 knobs) to those Knobs, simply awesome for fine tuning Layer/Clip Properties or effects. Also, the value of the Knobs are indicated correctly when you switch from one bank to another, they really completely behave like 72 different controls.
Well, you still can only access 8 of them at once, but it still gives you a total of 80 mapable knobs. Wich seriously kicks ass.

The only ones that won't work straight off are the solo/cue/activate buttons as well as the small Send A/Send B/Pan/Clip/etc Buttons unter the knobs (so all the small buttons). These controls only toggle Note ON/Note OFF events, means: you CAN map them, but by default you'll have to doubleclick them to trigger the mapped control. I'm sure this isn't hard to change with Bome's Midi Translator or MidiPipe, but I didn't tried that yet. (works like a charm set in piano mode, see page 2 for explanation)

Which brings us to customizing & LED Feedback:

Basically, it's pretty easy when you use a MIDI Translator of some kind.

I'm using Bomes MIDI-Translator, but I still have Version 1.6, which can only send MIDI out to one single source, that means I have to use MIDI Yoke to split the signal up for Resolume & the Midi Translator. APC40 goes into MidiOX, Yoke 1 goes to Resolume for triggering the controls, and Yoke 2 goes to the MIDI translator which processes the signals and sends them back to the APC. I don't know if Bomes Midi Translator 1.7 can handle different outs, but with version 1.6, it's the only way not to crash either the Translator, or Resolume when they try to access the APC.

By now, I've built a simple feedback for my layer selection buttons that switches on the light of the pressed button, and switches off the light of the other layer buttons.
Anyway, if you want to map buttons to change their light (or other buttons lights) it's as simple as this:

You'll have to set up the MIDI Translator to send back the according note ON to the pressed button with the following velocity:
- 01 = Green
- 02 = Green Blinking
- 03 = Red
- 04 = Red Blinking
- 05 = Orange
- 06 = Orange Blinking
- 07 & higher = Green

Now there are two things that I'd like to do, but I haven't achieved it yet and I'm not sure how to do this:

- Get the small Buttons to behave like the normal buttons - that means sending note ON / Note Off at once instead of toggeling between ON and OFF - but maintaining the way the LEDs work (press it once -> LED on, press it again -> LED off).

- And finding a way to get the large button matrix to behave like Resolume clip triggering, so that a selecting a clip would switch on the LED of the button pressed, but also switch off the LED of the clip that was active.
This should be fairly easy to do if the clips are triggered to their own layer, but rather difficult if the clips are triggered to the active layer. I don't know if Bome's MIDI Translator can handle storing variables between different rules, or if it's possible with the newest version - any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

And maybe someone can help me out here: With Bome's MIDI translator 1.7, is it possible to send MIDI out to different sources? With 1.6 I can either process the MIDI signals and send them to Resolume (like to solve the issue with the small buttons as described above) OR send MIDI signals back to the APC - not both.

Hope I could help someone make a decision or getting started with the APC! As I don't have a lot of experience with MIDI devices, I am just throwing together what I could find out on the web and what I have tried by myself - so it would be great if someone who knows more could give me some tips or help me out. I'd be happy for every advice I can get!

(attached you'll find an overview of how the APC behaves with Resolume)
Attachments
overview.jpg
overview.jpg (115.76 KiB) Viewed 92018 times
Last edited by subvert on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

newfuturenow

Post by newfuturenow »

Thanks for all the fine info Subvert, its really helpful . .
I got myself an APC40 yesterday and have been gathering what I need to make all this happen. I was wondering if there are any advancements on this topic ? If anyone else has had success mapping their APC40 to resolume with this or any other method.
One other thing, on a mac do we really need a software alternative to midi yoke or will IAC http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2007/inte ... tion-midi/ do what I need ?
thanks
Jaygo

newfuturenow

Post by newfuturenow »

I just found an answer to my own question -
viewtopic.php?f=5&p=23814#p23880
Thanks to VJair for the answer . .
Still interested to hear from others how they are doing with this set up.

VJVertex

Post by VJVertex »

i also use a APC40, great peace of hardware - i love it!
it´s a bit borring editing everything in bome to get the LED`s working, but now its ready to rumble.

is there any way to together with bome to use toggle-buttons correctly? At the moment i press the button and have to double press all the time (like subvert wrote).
| EVGA SR-2 | 2 x Intel Core i7 X5650 | 48 GB Corsiar DDR3 PC12800 | 2 x HD5870 Eyefinity 6 | 1 x GTX580 | 256GB Samsung 840 PRO | 160GB Intel Postville | Win 7 X64 | Resolume Arena 4 |