live vs. avenue strangeness

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
pantov
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

live vs. avenue strangeness

Post by pantov »

hi everybody

first of all,
love resolume3 for vj-ing, user friendly ui. fast. etc. good stuff

but

im working on a AV liveset with ableton and avenue.
my setup treats avenue as a sampler. triggering sound with video. so far, so good.
now i try to connect avenues sliders and knobs to ableton, i run into some trouble.
i checked the tutorial on live vs avenue, and it kinda works.
appart from that when i assign a bcr knob to, lets say a cuttof knob in ableton, and a oppacity in resolume.
then i get a huge lag in response. when i turn the knobs on screen in ableton, resolume reacts as it should.
but when im turning the knob on my bcr, avenue lags terribly. while live picks it up smooth.

avenue pc : intel core 2duo, ati x1900xtx, phonic firefly 302 ( midi in )

ableton live laptop: presonus firebox (midi out) behringer bcr (usb)

ill pick up a korg nano controller tonight, and try it again.

does anyone have the same troubles, and maybe a fix?

ps. joris , thanx for the tutorial.

pantov

Re: live vs. avenue strangeness

Post by pantov »

same thing with a cs1x connected to midi in on ableton machine... :-S

pantov

Post by pantov »

korg nano control... same thing..

resolume also only picks up the mapping when i turn a knob from ableton itself...

pantov

Post by pantov »

and automation of the controllers envelope isnt picked up by resolume as well..

aight..

kinda stuck now..
need to do av-performance on thursday...

gonna try a different aproach.. ..

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey Pantov

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. We have excellent experiences when using Midi-over-Lan connections. Give this thread a check for more info: http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4632

Also, to narrow down the possible causes, you could check with an app like Midi-OX if the Resolume PC is picking up the midi data correctly.

Hope that helps for now.

Joris

pantov

Post by pantov »

aight!

i know midi yoke,, didn't know about midi over lan... i thought thatv was osx only...

im gonna try it out, and ill post the results

thx for the reply

pantov

Post by pantov »

OK,

i installed res3.2 (dxv rgba YESSSSSSSS!!!!)

i got ethernet midi working... i disabled all other midi traffic .
resolume picks up midi from yoke as it would from regular midi..

but it didn't solve my problem...

still got a huge lag when assigning 1 controller to ableton and resolume...

for now im gonna concetrate on getting some decent liveset for thursday...

## everyone is welcome , free entry, cold beer .
http://www.setuputrecht.nl/content/pixelbar

after that im gonna try to rule out whats causing this on some other machines..

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

If you are following the tutorial on the Resolume site, then you are sending MIDI input to Ableton Live with a controller, and then Live is sending MIDI to Resolume, like this:

Controller -> Live -> Resolume

If this is the case, make sure that Resolume *only* has MIDI input enabled on the virtual port coming from Live, otherwise it will be seeing MIDI from both the controller and the virtual port, and will get confused. I think that this is maybe what is happening in your case.

Another option is to have MIDI from controller -> Live on one MIDI channel, and from Live to Resolume on another MIDI channel.

And even another option (using MIDI Yoke) is to send MIDI from the controller to a virtual port, and then have both Resolume and Live take input from the same virtual port, like this:

Controller -> virtual MIDI port #1 -> Live
-> Resolume

pantov

Post by pantov »

thanx for your reply gpvillamil :-)

If this is the case, make sure that Resolume *only* has MIDI input enabled on the virtual port coming from Live, otherwise it will be seeing MIDI from both the controller and the virtual port, and will get confused. I think that this is maybe what is happening in your case.
the computer wich runs resolume only gets midi from firefly midi in, all the rest are disabled
Another option is to have MIDI from controller -> Live on one MIDI channel, and from Live to Resolume on another MIDI channel.
i dont know how to do this.. i cant figure out how to have a specific midi channel to be sent from my controller.. coulnd find anything in the manual so fast.. i guess its possible becouse there is a knob with "CH"
And even another option (using MIDI Yoke) is to send MIDI from the controller to a virtual port, and then have both Resolume and Live take input from the same virtual port, like this:

Controller -> virtual MIDI port #1 -> Live
-> Resolume

hmm, midiyoke is just a driver, isnt it? hasnt got a config menu somewhere... i dont realy know how to patch midi signals... would be nice to have a reason-like UI for that :-)

i did some experimenting within ableton with 2 midi tracks. 1 having midi in from the controller. and then another one listening to the first track and relaying it to the midi out... no sucses

another thing is that i cant seem to control resolume with recorded cc from ableton.....

i made a list of setups i tried:

bcr controller -> usb -> ableton laptop -> firebox midi out -> phonic firefly midi in -> resolume pc... = lag

bcr controller -> midi out -> firebox midi in -> ableton laptop -> firebox midi out -> phonic firefly midi in -> resolume pc... = lag

bcr controller -> usb -> ableton laptop -> midi yoke via ethernet -> resolume = lag

korg nano -> usb -> ableton laptop -> firebox midi out -> phonic firefly midi in -> resolume pc... = lag

in all cases clip triggering works as it should...

and in all cases resolume was just listening to one midi in

also tried running both ableton and resolume on the same machine... and the problem is the same

to be continued......

pantov

Post by pantov »

aight

liveset went fairly well.

and now i return to tackle this problem, though i think it ain't an avenue issue...

i deployed the live2resolume setup with midi via a midicable

made 2 midi clips, 1 for triggering , 1 for cc data and a 3rd midi track wich picks up midi from the clips and sends them to my midi-out.

then i did the button assignment, as it is described in the live2resolume tutorial

the lag was there, but this time i noticed that the resolume slider only updated when i stopped turning the knob.

i recorded a composition in ableton, with trigger and cc data..

and w.t.f. ? when i play it back,resolume does just do what i want it to..

so why doesnt ableton feed midi into resolume in clip-mode ?