DMX Issues with Resolume 331 and Enttec DMX Pro Windows

Bro, does your rig even lift?
jjames
Is taking Resolume on a second date

DMX Issues with Resolume 331 and Enttec DMX Pro Windows

Post by jjames »

Hi,

I have some unusual trouble with the Enttec DMX Pro and Resolume 3.3.1.

DMX in on my MacBook under OSX10.5.8 - Fine
DMX in on my MacBook under Vista 32Bit - Fine

DMX on WinXP -32Bit - Resolume - Fine

DMX in on my main PC, Win7-64bit - Fine for Light Factory - Doesn't work for Resolume
DMX on same PC, Vista-32Bit - Fine for LightFactory - Doesn't work for Resolume

DMX on different PC - Win7 - 64 Bit - Fine for Light Factory - Doesn't work for Resolume.

Initially I used firmware 1.44 on Both Enttec Out and In. Then after reading about it I found there was some problems with 1.44 when used as an input, (Lag mostly). Changing to 1.43 did not help. I swapped all USB Leads, DMX Leads, Dongles etc. I tried all combinations. In any configuration it works as an input to my MacBook or old WinXP machine.

On Windows 7 - 64Bit I am using the CDM20802 D2xx Direct Drivers as the VCP ones do not work at all for me on Win7 64Bit. http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

The drivers from the Enttec site http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_me ... ow=drivers do not work for me under Win7 64Bit.

I am also using the Direct Drivers under the Vista install on my main PC. It seems Resolume does not like these drivers. Yet using the VCP drivers from FTDICHIP work under WinXP.

I am very keen to get Resolume working on my main PC as it has ATI 5850 with SSD drives etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason

jjames

Re: DMX Issues with Resolume 331 and Enttec DMX Pro Windows

Post by jjames »

Managed to get the CDM20808 drivers working.

Still the same problem.

The light on the DMX Pro flashes slowly like it is in output mode.

Under LF it flashes quickly like it is in input mode.

If I plug it in when Resolume is running it flashes quickly for a while, like it is receiving normally, but then when Resolume gets control of it then it goes back to flashing slowly.

Is it possible to specify the COM Port manually in Resolume?

jjames

Post by jjames »

I feel like I am having a conversation with myself...

I disabled the COM1 Port in Device Manager under Win7. Resolume then hung trying to enable DMX in preferences.

The Enttec DMX Pro was COM3.

So I disabled the COM1 port in bios.

Now Resolume is working for DMX input on Win7 64Bit.

I saw in older posts that you used to be able to select the com port in version 2. Can that be put back into 3.3.2?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

If I understand your conversation with yourself correctly, you were able to solve this in the end by disabling the COM port right?

Resolume should scan for which COM ports are in use, and select the right one automatically when choosing the device. Obviously something is going wrong with this, so we'll look into the issue.

Thanks for letting us know!

Joris

jjames

Post by jjames »

Hi Joris,

Yes, disabling the COM(1) port worked. (Standard motherboard COM Port).

It was an odd problem, as Resolume would detect the device, allowing me to select it. But wouldn't work. If I disconnected it then it would disappear from preferences->DMX. So it seemed that it should be working.

I just tested this on my second Win7 64bit machine. I disabled the motherboard COM port in BIOS. Resolume DMX in now works. This is a better test, as that machine also has another USB Virtual Com port (for controlling the multifunction printer). I did not need to disable the printer's USB VCP, just the old school serial port on the motherboard.

I am not that worried. I have an old win98 laptop that I use for null modem connections to P.A. controllers.

Cheers,
Jason