Please give us stable fps for recording/rendering.

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
ni-cad
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Please give us stable fps for recording/rendering.

Post by ni-cad »

Hey guy's long time no see, here's my feature request.

Please can you allow us to (set fps on render) so fps stay at a fixed rate? For live playback Resolume seems to work well for me, it can easily output 60fps from this machine at 720p with alpha, displaying only very occasional frame dropping which at these speeds is pretty much invisible, the problem for me starts when I render/record my comps, a comp that is running at 60 fps outputs a recording of only 26 fps the resulting render has now lost so many frames (over half) that one frame now no longer bares any relationship to it's adjoining frames, I realise this is because a live app like Resolume must prioritise "live playback" over rendering, but Resolume doesn't need to render in real-time!! so why does it need to drop so many frames?

Just to be clear, speed is not the problem here (consistency is) even if my composition footage were only 24 fps, Resolume would still render the frames inconsistently by up scaling the comp to the highest render speed it can 26 fps (on my machine) this also results in uneven frame rates where by some frames remain in their correct fps whilst others are doubled up to bring the recording up to 26fps.

With Resolume as it is, the fps cannot be set to render or playback at (any) consistent frame rate (this is bad) even if it is well within the capacity of your machine to do so Resolume won''t deliver a smooth looking recording of your comp. Please fix this Resolume! A steady consistent frame rate is just as important as overall speed, what good is a record function if it cant even render 24 fps consistently?

I'd like to propose the addition of a simple render settings feature, a check box that asks:

"render at fixed/native fps"? "yes/no"

or

"render at custom fps?" "enter fps"

This would obviously be a big benefit for not only "pre-comping" but also for web broadcasts and other video production work (pop video's for example) where frame rates need to remain stable, with Resolume we can work fast, please let us save/record our work to a professional standard. . . . using the power of Resolume!! :)

Respect ;)

Bang Boom Ben

Re: Please give us stable fps for recording/rendering.

Post by Bang Boom Ben »

I just registered because of this feature lack. I tried the test-version and hoped to find some answers how to record with a fix framerate. Recording clips is a serious feature of resolume but now I'm not sure about the functionality. If my footage has a framerate of 25 and my records has a variable framerate (in my case around 30 and 35) and I want to refine the recorded clip through AE or Premiere I have serious problems because it's obvioud dependent on the clips framerate. A clip that had 11sec duration has after recording in Premiere only around 10 sec...
b

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey guys

Thanks for your thoughts on this. We are aware of the demand for a stable framerate. The initial idea behind the variable framerate was to always give you the highest fps possible. After reading your comments and those of other users, we'll be adding the option for a fixed fps when recording in a future release.

Thanks again

Joris

GeeEs
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by GeeEs »

Great! It's on my wishlist too indeed...

The recording function is pretty uselss for me also, only for the occasional snapshot of a nice livesituation it's fine... but i don't dare to push the record button while it gives huge framedrops and computer freezes while saving the clip... (while recording , it seems not to harm the output that much) ... tried on external eSata disk, but that only helped a littlebit...

Tried to record some clips of a specified lenght for a music track, with effects and cuts on specified moments, but that's not done because of the framedrops. After a few seconds the recorded clip is out of sync with the track, while in Avenue the live output was perfectly fine and in sync during recording...

For me it's even fine if the output render is set to 0,0 fps when recording (only preview on 25 fps for example) (if that benefits recording consistency)...?!
desktop: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM (GVP34GB1600C9DC), NVidia GTX 560
laptop: Windows 7 home premium 32 bit, Core2duo 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, NVidia 9600m GT

KILL! CLUB
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by KILL! CLUB »

60fps please! also resolume for me crashes if i record over 250mb. Which is quick in 1920*1080. Does it record straight to DXV codec for instant hi-res use?

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

KILL! CLUB wrote:60fps please! also resolume for me crashes if i record over 250mb. Which is quick in 1920*1080. Does it record straight to DXV codec for instant hi-res use?
Hmm, I am seeing this too, on both Mac and Windows. When I'm recording in 1400 x 1050 Res Avenue crasehes after a few seconds.

RoDayTron

Post by RoDayTron »

Yes, I would also like a stable framerate. But not for recording by Resolume, but for external recording. Because I want to stream the video live, I need to use a encoder, and the variable framerate output of Resolume causes tearing artifacts. So if the rendering engine can be set to limit the output framerate that would be awesome.

I use a capture card to input video or computer output and use Resolume to mix the content, that is then fed to an encoder for live streaming. So if I could get everything to run lock-step then the tearing artifacts would be eliminated.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Screen tearing is actually caused by a discrepancy between the refresh rates of the gpu and the output device, and is not necessarily fixed by capping the fps. Screen tearing issues will be solved in Res 4 though.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint »

I'd really like to see an option for something similar to modul8's data only or logical record function.....so performances can be recorded live with small file sizes and rendered after the fact at whatever resolution/fps you choose. any chance something like that might be working it's way into Res 4?
Macbook Pro 17" 2.93ghz, 4G Ram, OSX 10.5.7, Live 8.2.2, Avenue 3.3.1, Faderfoxes LV2,DJ2, LD2, Monome 40h.

Singing Pics

Post by Singing Pics »

+1 for stable fps upon (optional) offline recording. Please, please, please...

Greats, SP
(a non-live user getting grey hairs from sync problems)