DVX Codec Questions

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
offthesky
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

DVX Codec Questions

Post by offthesky »

So I'm new to using the DVX codec and have a couple questions: when trying to render 1024x768 .mov clips in After Effects (CS4 PC) using the 2.1.1 DVX codec, it won't allow me to turn off the RGB+ option. Am I missing something here? I'm not using an alpha channel for any of my clips so I don't need them to have that extra file size. And doesn't the extra channel burden the GPU just that much more?

Also I'm going to be playing these clips on a mac, would it be best to encode/render them on the mac or does it not matter? I wonder if the codec for Mac is made special to utilize a mac's abilities. Currently I only have after effects on the PC so I'm limited to encoding them on that platform...

any feedback welcome!

jason
17" macbook pro | i7 2.3ghz Quad | 8g 1333MHz DDR3 | 512 SSD | OSX 10.6.8

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: DVX Codec Questions

Post by HerrNieDa »

dxv is multiplatform and works like other quicktime codecs this way so no problem with pc/mac!

don't know about the color specifications, think it's always 16m+

alpha channel can be set in the extra options of the codec (ignore or preserve alpha channel), with alpha channel the filesize seems to get larger!

the rest can't be configured in dxv i think.
don't know if it makes sense to use "only" 16million colors or less
my request on this point (which is also not used generally in video i think):
i have some black/white clips and it would be nice to reduce the color specs (i think a grayscaled video should contain much less information)!
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

offthesky

Post by offthesky »

hey herrnieda thanks for the reply, thats good to know. i actually do allot of b/w stuff also so it would be cool to have that option as well... only needing one (or two?) channels for b/w would be nice for stacking a whole bunch of hd footage.

anyway id did discover that using the DVX codec in aftereffects on a borrowed mac, it didn't revert automatically to the alpha+ output setting like the pc version seems to be relintlessly doing for me. of course the mac has cs5 and my pc is still using cs4 so not sure if the cs version has anything to do with it... possibly a bug?
17" macbook pro | i7 2.3ghz Quad | 8g 1333MHz DDR3 | 512 SSD | OSX 10.6.8

acanterelle

Post by acanterelle »

Hi all, This seems like the best place to ask this question. I've particularly new to Vjing, but previously havent invested as much time/ energy into using codecs correctly as what I have been using has been sufficient for previous projects. So Im completely new to encoding with DXV, having previously used standard .MOV files. The past few weeks my clip library has been growing at an alarming rate, and I would like to get everything into DXV as soon as possible so things dont get out of control. I have the DXV codec installed, and I am particularly interested in batch converting to save stress.
The problem I have been experiencing is: When attempting to convert files to DXV, (specifically in FFMPEGX, a freeware/shareware program recommended for DXV) I cannot find the DXV codec anywhere as an output option. (this may be a question for FFMPEGXs message board, but just thought its worth mentioning) A quick look in Imovie has DXV as an output option, but looking further online, there dosent seem to be any easy way of batch rendering all the video samples to separate output files... grr
An alternative might be AE CS5, but thats sort of scary territory for me... (I have no idea why... but i struggle to wrap my head around it)
Any advice on an appropriate DXV encoder would be appriciated. I keep finding DivX Xvid etc, but no DXV.
Cheers M

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

if you already have AE, then you have a good batch convertor already. its called the render queue in AE.

make yourself a template for the output module ( ie setup how you want your DXV files to render ) then load the files you want to convert into your AE composition, select them all in the projectect media window and from the menu choose "add to render queue" and then press start.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

hmm... maybe someone else realised that there is a different encoding DXV in AE or , for example, with STREAMCLIP.

When I create content in AE and encode it direktly to DXV the qualtity of the clip is (- -)
But when I encode with AE to QT Animation...and after that mit STREAMCLIP to DXV the same clip looks much better.

Why?

Greeeetz
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

barstu

Post by barstu »

I have a good applescript for batch converting to dxv which uses QT. I can post if you are still looking.

I have a question about dxv. Is there any software (osx or win) out there that allows you to trim without re-encode? Say if I knew I had to loose x frames/seconds from the start of the video. I hope in future versions, the bpm timeline sliders allow more precise control, then I wouldn't need to think a out small file edits.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Yes please show us the applescript, i'm curious to see what you can do.