Advanced Output

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Tecno`
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Advanced Output

Post by Tecno` »

Liking the features added since the alpha on the advanced output settings!

The ability to save a preset is great.

Also the ability to swap which output is screen 1 etc - this is a big plus! While testing the alpha on an event (at the risk of setting my computer on fire) the outputs all changed order, which completely screwed all my hard work warping and edge blending.

R, G, B, Contrast and Brightness levels - Again a very useful addition, should save all that time trying to adjust the projectors from the remote control.

More to come when I plug in a few screens.

Tim

juLiE

Re: Advanced Output

Post by juLiE »

UPDATE 15:48 20/09/11

Regarding my previous message below, some issues have been resolved, most importantly, video mapping appearing on display 2 (below striked-out what no longer applies and left what does - and there are other issues not noted yet).

Question: From testing and from what I understand, one can only do mapping on overall composition output, not by selecting individual video clips or layers (like IR Mappio allows one to do) ? Is this correct or am I missing something ? Thanx in advance.

Hi R-Team,

Thanx for the updates.

I know this is beta, but I thought I would let you know that I'm having several issues with ADVANCED output (video mapping) in ARENA (using both display 1 laptop (1440x900) & display 2 VP (800x600)).

Crashes when...
- In Advanced screen, just *starting* to work (a slice added and adjusted), but then stopping to take a bathroom break, leaving the computer idle ~3 min (I'm guessing) and upon returning, everything is locked, one can't close any window, can't return to desktop, (sometimes mouse is gone), etc. and one is forced to "end task".
- selecting option to "reset to default" in Preset drop-down menu

Other issues:
- Video mapping only appears when I'm in Advanced menu setting up mapping, then once I click OK (when done mapping), it does not return me to the control panel of Resolume, but defaults to DISPLAY 1 Full screen, once I press the short cut keys to disable full screen, it then returns me to the control panel, but the mapping is not retained in display 2 (and if i click on CANCEL (when done mapping), however, it does returns me to the control panel, but *still* the mapping is not retained).

What I'm not clear on after watching the video & reading the manual is your mapping concept...
1) Does one have to *stay* in the Advance menu for mapping to occur and thus one can not return to the control of Resolume in order to play clips as a VJ app?
2) Slice only works on the total video output as a whole, not for individual clips or layers, allowing one to define individual videos (not sure how to phrase this, it may not be clear, sorry...and I'm use to working with IR Mappio which acts as more of a "mapping effect" on individual clips, layers or composition).

Thanx for your time,
Julie

EDIT: I will send you via email my log file; earlier I could not find it in "C:\User\julie\Application Data\Resolume Arena 4" and found it instead in "C:\User\julie\Application Data\Resolume", along with the log file for Ave 3...I guess one is placing the text log files in a it's own "Resolume" folder and not in their respective version folders now? ...later I found under "Preferences" in app the ability to send text by gui interface, thanx)
Last edited by juLiE on Tue Sep 20, 2011 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
2013 - Present: Dell Inspiron 7720 laptop, Win 7 sp1, Nividia GeForce GT 650M
2008 - 2012: Dell Vostro 1700 laptop, Win XP sp3, Nividia GeForce 8600M GT
2004 - 2008: Mini PC ITX...
Official Website: http://www.juliemeitz.com

VJ Johnooded
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by VJ Johnooded »

juLiE wrote:Hi R-Team,
What I'm not clear on after watching the video & reading the manual is your mapping concept...
1) Does one have to *stay* in the Advance menu for mapping to occur and thus one can not return to the control of Resolume in order to play clips as a VJ app?
2) Slice only works on the total video output as a whole, not for individual clips or layers, allowing one to define individual videos (not sure how to phrase this, it may not be clear, sorry...and I'm use to working with IR Mappio which acts as more of a "mapping effect" on individual clips, layers or composition).
I asked me the same questions. Apply the mapping on an individual layer is very usefull.

juLiE

Post by juLiE »

Hi VJ Johnooded, just reading your message now.

I'm new to mapping, but I spent a little time with IR Mappio and using it's mapping capability as an "effect" that can be placed not only on the overall composition, but on individual layers, and on individual clips, well, it made mapping extremely flexible and easy, imo. And not only that, but since it is applied as an "effect", one can control it's various parameters available in Resolume, by animating it's actual shape ("timeline", "bpm", etc. instead of "basic", etc.), and other parameters, and also include visual effects. Overall, the concept of it seems to be the right feel to me.

However, I know this is a new feature by the R-Team and that it's been a lot of work in general just to continue to update for both PC and Mac, so I appreciate their effort.
2013 - Present: Dell Inspiron 7720 laptop, Win 7 sp1, Nividia GeForce GT 650M
2008 - 2012: Dell Vostro 1700 laptop, Win XP sp3, Nividia GeForce 8600M GT
2004 - 2008: Mini PC ITX...
Official Website: http://www.juliemeitz.com

noiseismyart

Post by noiseismyart »

I 100% agree with julie that in order to get best use of the mapping feature we should be able to apply it to a layer as well not just solely the output. Generally when working with VDMX I would have each layer/group have its own warp mask and be completely unique to the face of the object I was projecting on. To get this same functionality I would have to scale down individual outputs to different parts and then select them to be warped so if you can add layers to the slice functionality instead of just the output it would be much awesomeness. Other than that it would be useful if you can zoom in and zoom out on the output screen for warping. Sometimes when trying to fine align an object it was impossible to select the right point on a smaller scaled warp to do the adjustment. The only thing I could do was maximize the screen which made it slightly better but a built in zoom would help a lot.

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

yeah, per layer application like irmapio would be ace - as would masking and also being able to activate / change presets via midi.

i use irmapio all the time ( like that ^^ ), even on conventional shaped screens, often with as many as 10 versions loaded and swithcing between them in real time - it realy does a great job at breaking it all up and allows me to "escape from the normal box"

chaos theory

Post by chaos theory »

have to agree that the mapping would be greatly improved if it could be on individual layers.

Tecno`

Post by Tecno` »

Surely if you want to apply mapping to a layer you just need section off your composition and size the layers in each part of the composition.
You can then set the slice to focus on that part of the composition the layer is in and adjust the warping to suit.

I would have thought that it is complicating Resolume too far to have this level of warping and adjustment on each layer and clip - but that is for the developers to decide.

As I see it warping and mapping is for projecting on a complex surface and if you want to use it as an effect there is a keystone plug-in which can be applied to the clips / layers and if you already own IR Mapio then I assume it can still be used on V.4.

Tim

vj granda

Post by vj granda »

Tecno` wrote:Surely if you want to apply mapping to a layer you just need section off your composition and size the layers in each part of the composition.
You can then set the slice to focus on that part of the composition the layer is in and adjust the warping to suit.

I would have thought that it is complicating Resolume too far to have this level of warping and adjustment on each layer and clip - but that is for the developers to decide.

As I see it warping and mapping is for projecting on a complex surface and if you want to use it as an effect there is a keystone plug-in which can be applied to the clips / layers and if you already own IR Mapio then I assume it can still be used on V.4.

Tim

The goal here is not to have a different video in each side of a cube, for instance.
We need to associate the slices to layers to have the possibilty to do a global mask in one of the layers, with this feature you can decide if you want to repeat the content on each little part of the scenography or send a unique video to all the scenography...

I have IR Mapio and Madmapper, but if Arena has a mapping tool, we need it more flexible...

I would also like to have triangles and poligons, not only cubes and circles, but I supose that will come in any update...

Anyway Thanks a lot Resolume Team for that great soft, R4 Arena is solid like a stone... Last day, 8 h of live peformance without a problem...

Thanks

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We need to associate the slices to layers
The way we designed this, is so that it works the way Tecno describes it. Every slice can contain a certain part of the composition, and can then be mapped to suit your needs. But perhaps you are trying to achieve something which is not covered by this?