open source dxv decoder?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
toastbrot
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

open source dxv decoder?

Post by toastbrot »

hi all

i was wondering if its planned to open-source a dxv decoder? many projects and tools relie on such version: ffmpeg, mencoder, vlc, avidemux, ...

videopong.net (share and remix platform for vjs) relies on ffmpeg on linux. and if there would at least exist an open dxv decoder, we could possibly provide dxv upload! now its sadly not possible or i'm not aware of a solution. i see dxv as the format for vjs and it would be a pitty if those clips are unshareable or one needs to convert them first...

please contact me if you know any workaround/solution for a command-line conversion of dxv movies to something else on linux. or also with command-line on windows/osx if the original dxv-plugin is installed. i searched around the net for hours and could not find any working solution.

thanx and cheers,ivo

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: open source dxv decoder?

Post by Tschoepler »

+1
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

+1 BÄM!
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

GeeEs

Post by GeeEs »

Why? You can play DXV clips perfectly ok in Quicktime player ? (And if i'm informed correctly, you can play them in al quicktime supported players as well)

The only thing with DXV that Avenue is using your GPU for decoding... In other playersoftware it's just CPU decoding.

(correct me if i'm wrong or misunderstand the question)
desktop: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM (GVP34GB1600C9DC), NVidia GTX 560
laptop: Windows 7 home premium 32 bit, Core2duo 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, NVidia 9600m GT

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Thanks a lot for your enthusiasm about DXV guys, but we invested a lot of time and money into developing the codec into what it is today, so we won't be releasing the source code anytime soon.

toastbrot

Post by toastbrot »

thanx goto10 for joining this discussion.
i can truly understand your point.

do you have any advice how to allow all those online clip-share platforms to provide also the possibility to share also dxv? all of them generate thumbs and previews and extract other meta-infos from the file. and speaking for videopong.net we use ffmpeg on a linux system, which is possibly the way others do it also. so far i have not found a way to include the compiled decoder-dlls into our setup. maybe you know someone that could help? or you could provide us a somehow compiled version of the decoder that is usable with ffmpeg. or such things... actually i dont want to read the code, i just want to provide videopong-users the possibility to share dxv also.

i think if dxv clips are not shareable via internetplatforms, this codec will possibly have a big draw-back for the users, and as we really like your codec we're looking for a way to share also such clips. thanx a lot and looking forward.

@GeeEs: ever tried to watch a dxv in vlc? at least here it does not work.

GeeEs

Post by GeeEs »

true.. VLC is not working, but i never use VLC for quicktime here... Does it even support quicktime natively ?
Try quicktimeplayer ... works fine.
desktop: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM (GVP34GB1600C9DC), NVidia GTX 560

toastbrot

Post by toastbrot »

@GeeEs: actually we want to convert dxv clips on linux server to create thumbs and previews. so if you know a way on linux to use the compiled dxv-codecs with a quicktimeplayer only in a shell, please please let me know.

GeeEs

Post by GeeEs »

hmm.. i understand... In that case i can't help you with a quick solution while that's something I know little about.

Of course it's possible to batch convert DXV files to AVI or other formats, but that's maybe not exactly what you'r looking for? I know it only on my windows machine, but you can probably us this tool inside linux/wine too?
Livid batch export utility: http://lividinstruments.com/support_downloads.php