Advanced Output

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Advanced Output

Post by VJair »

the mapping in arena seems to be a utility ( ie: something you setup and leave ) whereas mapio has uses as an effect ( something you can change around whilst in the mix - this is where the presets rule! ) i have a library of presets or "looks" designed for both 4:3 and 16:9 screens which i can dip into at any point.

the attached pic shows layer 1 ( orriginaly just 1 orange circle ) has one mapio instance applied and layer 2 ( orriginaly 1 cross ) has a different instance applied - but the key is that the mapping effect is restricted to that layer and the mapping for each layer can be switched on the fly. as the mapping in arena takes a slice of the comp as a whole it doesnt work like that. the only way is to restrict your layer to a section of the screen which in turn reduces the res of each image and means you cant use blend modes.

hopefully this shows how mapping can be an effect as well as a utility.

*edited to change the pic as the last one was huuuuuuuuge! *
Attachments
beat pulse 011 copy.jpg
beat pulse 011 copy.jpg (162.36 KiB) Viewed 13116 times

noiseismyart
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by noiseismyart »

I do not own IRMapio was hoping that arena would be able to compare in functionality. While sectioning off portions of a composition and slicing each of them would surely work it is vastly time consuming, easy to mess up, and loses so much power compared to a layer map. As said not only does layer mapping allow various effects to be had but as I stated in regards to being able to manipulate things in the advanced output you can't zoom in and you can't precisely edit with fine detail the locations of the points which could cause problems in trying to map sections of the composition instead of mapping the layer purely. I will be disappointed if I have to use IRMapio or Madmapper to obtain this level of functionality but I am certainly happy with Arena either way. Still if a zoom feature can be added in the advanced mapping to be able to manipulate fine detail of smaller scaled items this would help immensely imo.

shazzy

Post by shazzy »

Please add support for triangular slices! This would save me from having to spend 300€ on Madmapper :/

noiseismyart

Post by noiseismyart »

Take a slice and make it so two of points are ontop of each other. Its easy to make triangles from squares. Creating a perfect circle from bezier is killing me though.

vj granda
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by vj granda »

noiseismyart wrote:Take a slice and make it so two of points are ontop of each other. Its easy to make triangles from squares.
I'm sorry but in doing so the image is distorted. I also need triangular slices ...

newfuturenow

Post by newfuturenow »

I do lots of mapping, have used all the usual softwares and really hoping to stay exclusive to Resolume. This new update was just what I was waiting for thanks team.....
[edit]
A full day of tests with the advanced output. First impressions is that it works nicely.. most shapes can be achieved with out too much effort. Two points that are concerns. When in advanced output mode with the transformation screen open - when I press a mapped key to change the video content, the software crashes on me. Also on a single screen set up, after transformation and set up in advanced, when the fullscreen display is disabled my output defaults back to its standard resolution settings with no map, in order to work the mapping again I have to go back into advanced and reset the preset. ALso their is no way to see the mapped content on the output window built into the GUI, this would be very helpful for those on the move wanting to work on a set with only their laptop.
All in all I am really liking it, will keep feedback coming, as I have a big mapping job to do this weekend and I am hoping to use arena and workaround these inital errors..
best NFN

EyEsAw

Post by EyEsAw »

First off, nice work on the general improvements.
Auto-pilot is a godsend as is the return of arrow-key clip navigation.
Good see RGB delay is back as well and the Terrain effect is also looking sexy.
But when it comes to the advanced output settings, I'm a bit disappointed.
The mapping has to be applicable to individual clips and layers surely?
I'd love to see it work in a similar way to irmapio as a FreeFrameGL plug-in but realize this would mean pretty much a complete overhaul.
I think if we had more control over the output slices it could open up a lot of possibilities.
A time delay would certainly be useful enabling us to 'cascade' the same clip over different slices.
I played with Black Level Compensation to alter the clip and it was kinda cool. It would be nice if there could be full 'colour kill switches' to really change the look.
Could we even get an individual effects pallet on each slice? Image
I may be asking too much I've very little idea of the limitation you guys face when coding these things and have next to no experience in projection mapping, but I definitely feel we need more flexibility.
As it stands, I may have to go and buy irmapio as well.

chaos theory

Post by chaos theory »

one feature i like about that other mapping tool (MM) is the ability to export a image file from the slices layout.I presume this would speed up content creation.Any plans for something like this?

newfuturenow

Post by newfuturenow »

Last weekend I put Arena 4 through the tests with a full day 2400px x 600px triplehead2go projector mapped set up. Now that I feel up to spec with what Arena can provide in its beta state I would like to share my experience of this test.

First request would be to have a changeable advanced screen preset outside of the advanced window setup and accessible within a panel on the main GUI, preferably activated with the usual key or midi mapping function.
A solo and bypass button for each slice would be very useful, again with key and midi mapping and possible piano key trigger?
The auto pilot seems a great new addition, if this could be implemented into the advanced slices set up this would be a really neat trick for quickly changing, randomising mapped output.
I was also really lacking onscreen buttons to scroll through the tools available within advanced output mode, I still dont know the keyboard shortcut for the zoom tool? or the hand tool? The hand tool was also really unresponsive whilst working on a small slice it would always default to rotate and having made a wrong move it was difficult to replace the mapped slice to its previous state, so a request to please add an undo button, v.v. important!
And also the use of shift key to move objects along the vertical and horizontal planes.
Keen to hear other peoples views
Thanks!

Tecno`

Post by Tecno` »

I think the big difference between my use of the advanced output and seemingly others on this forum is that I use it to map my projections onto complex surfaces and this is all set up before the show starts. This often takes quite a bit of time so I wouldn't want to mess with it during the show.

It seems like others are using warping as an effect within the projection during the show, which is a different use altogether and I imagine not what the Resolume guys were thinking when they developed this functionality.

Idea: An option might be to add a menu to layers so that they can be either sent to the whole composition (as they currently are) or can be sent to an individual slice. The layer could then be zoomed / keystoned (using the keystone plugins) and rotated within that slice.

Tim