What sort of rig does it take to mix HD?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
grif
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: What sort of rig does it take to mix HD?

Post by grif »

i had another problem with resolume and everyone reported different behavior so its probably some mysterious combination of things.

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

:lol: now that doesn't really help solving the problem.
What was the other problem about, could you link to it?
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

ehm :P +1 ? ;)
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

grif

Post by grif »

http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9003

Usually when that happens it means the software is dependent too much on the users system so when something goes wrong the devs never fix it because everyone gets something different and theres no way to figure out why. Its the same is adobes software, its kinda a crapshoot whether it will work right.

fruitygreen
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by fruitygreen »

grif wrote:http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9003

Usually when that happens it means the software is dependent too much on the users system so when something goes wrong the devs never fix it because everyone gets something different and theres no way to figure out why. Its the same is adobes software, its kinda a crapshoot whether it will work right.
That is why I asked the Development team about their computer specs.
http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8880

Got no reply.

I am a former System Admin , and in the past have implemented hardware and software solutions .

I am aware of anomolies . Things get interestingly complex when new software(updates )gets introduced asychronously into a multipurpose machine.

Ever experienced a perfect system? Canned!

When Resolume works flawlessly for you, unhook your internet, disable windows update and don't upgrade anything.

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

Funny thing is that the last 5 posts are from joris and cosmowe. So I wouldn't call this an unsolved problem rather than a left conversation ;) Maybe give it a try and reenter it. Oh and I almost always found an answer to Adobe products. I have a database with answers to all my solved problems from the past, so when they reappear most of the time I find them in those docs. Maybe I can help if you got a particular question :D
grif wrote:Hm, resolume doesnt even touch my cpu, i guess i dont need dxv with an i7.
It doesn't matter if it touches your CPU or what not. It is a matter of the most compatible codec which for the moment (and all time ;) ) is DXV. Everyone using Resolume needs DXV ;)
cosmowe wrote:If I should make a guess:

Your 9600GT is not the fastest card. When you are using the DXV-Codec most of the work will be done by the GPU and not the CPU. Can you make a comparison between DXV and FotoJPEG codec!?

[…]

Run a diagnostic and a benchmark tool to test your RAID0 HDDs

Looking forward to your results..
Take those advices from cosmowe and share the results with us. Some forums are really looking forward to help other users … not the way that Adobe's forums work :lol:
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

grif

Post by grif »

My raid is probably closer to 80MB/s read speed since its filling up, but the bitrate of uncompressed 720p is only 1/8th of that.

I asked if using the dvx codec on a crappy gpu would actually be worse than not using it at all but got no response. Ive worked with enough software to know that its not always the hardware that creates a bottleneck, oftentimes the software doesnt utilize existing resources properly, as apparent from the mass of encoders out there that only use 20% of a quadcore.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

My raid is probably closer to 80MB/s read speed since its filling up
since its filling up? didn't get it!
80MB/s readspead is not fast for any RAID0 combination ....it's very slow! Is this your benchmark result?

I asked if using the dvx codec on a crappy gpu would actually be worse than not using it at all but got no response.
could be....give it a try and share your results. By the way, Resolume is not able to deal with CPU multithreads....in my special case with an i7 2600K Resolume never uses more than 20% of the CPU. never!

Right now I tested this for YOU!....just that you can get a feeling:

I have a bad single HDD in my PC (95MB/s read) beside the SSD drive (550MB/s read)
I took one fullHD movie 30fps FotoJPEG and converted it in DXV .....then I stored these two movies on my HDD and played them with Resolume.

1x FullHD FotoJpeg = Resolume framerate breaks down from 60 to 30fps
3x FullHD DXV = Resolume still gives me 60 fps
4x FullHD DXV = Resolume breaks down to 35fps

Greetz
cosmowe

Just for your information:

720p 60Hz uncompressed = ca. 1 Gbit/s = 128MB/s
1080p 60Hz uncompressed = ca. 2,4 Gbit/s = 307,2MB/s

And here you can find some other tests i've made with a slower grafikcard and ssd's
http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic ... &hilit=dxv
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar