File formats ??

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
stevespaw
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

File formats ??

Post by stevespaw »

We are looking to build some media servers to replace some pro servers that are out dated. I got a copy of the version 4 beta and its features look great. But with some testing we have found that our biggest issue is file formats that it won't play. The files we need are pretty basic. We need:

Mpeg2 both SD and HD
DV avi
Quicktime Pro-Res
MP4
Black Magic, AJA, Avid DNAXD, Matrox with the codecs installed
Most of these crashed the software when we tried them - The Quicktime pro-res imported (slowly) and then played back glitchy and at fast speed. Do you have to convert these? Can these not be native?

We are on PC's. We found this software after looking at competing software GrandVJ. We ran across a demo copy of that and was thrilled that it played every file we needed without conversion, but operationally it is lacking the features that we need that this version 4 beta seems to provide.

Are file formats something that is a priority, or is this product just a VJ thing that is in its own environment?

Thanks, this looks like a cool product that professional production groups could (almost) use, I look forward to watching it progress with my credit card waiting. :-)

Steve

vj granda
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: File formats ??

Post by vj granda »

Resolume runs pefect with his own codec: DXV.
The better is to re-encode all the files to DXV.
You can try with this software: mpeg streamclip,
http://www.squared5.com/

And here you have a lot of info about DXV:
http://www.resolume.com/avenue/dxv.php

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

its well worth looking at the manual for info on sugested codecs. most of the formats you list are fairly unsuitable for live performance.

stevespaw

Post by stevespaw »

Sorry guys, not to be rude, but that was not my question. This codec is not a solution. What is the sample rate ? 4:2:2, 4:2:0, 4:1:1? What is the bit depth? 8 bit, 10 bit, 12 bit? One example is also that in some cases I really can't convert my clients, maybe 1/2 millon dollar video, to an unknown codec.

My question is as a media server where we get files from clients to play at the last minute. In terms of playablity I would only ask that you try a competing product (that is lacking in some ways). download a youtube mp4 and watch it play back full screen instantly with no conversion.

I hate to mention competitors on these boards but it only makes products better.

Using a proprietary codec is not a solution as a media server. Again, maybe in the VJ world, but I don't know this world. But I do know that there IS a market for a product that does what resolume 4 does that can play all direct show codecs.

Thanks,
Steve

vj granda

Post by vj granda »

stevespaw wrote:Sorry guys, not to be rude, but that was not my question. This codec is not a solution. What is the sample rate ? 4:2:2, 4:2:0, 4:1:1? What is the bit depth? 8 bit, 10 bit, 12 bit? One example is also that in some cases I really can't convert my clients, maybe 1/2 millon dollar video, to an unknown codec.
Hello steve, Have you tried DXV codec??? Give it a try ...
Last edited by vj granda on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Hello stevespaw,

Mediaservers I use:

Pandoras Box:
The manufacturer recommend the MainConcept - MPEG2 codec for best performance

Hippothizer:
Recommended codec MPEG2 Elementary stream for best performance
The new version converts any clip you add to the server lists automatically to a "special" MPEG2...so it take some time too.

What I'm trying to show you is that almost every Media server software has their special way to give their performance to the user.....Yes - you can play some other codecs with these tools...and even with resolume...but its not the recommended way to reach the peak of performance.....and....if you have a half million dollar film you should choose a safe and recommended way to play it!

And by the way, why do you want to VJing with a 0,5million dollar film? ;)
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Tecno`

Post by Tecno` »

stevespaw wrote:Sorry guys, not to be rude, but that was not my question. This codec is not a solution. What is the sample rate ? 4:2:2, 4:2:0, 4:1:1? What is the bit depth? 8 bit, 10 bit, 12 bit? One example is also that in some cases I really can't convert my clients, maybe 1/2 millon dollar video, to an unknown codec.

My question is as a media server where we get files from clients to play at the last minute. In terms of playablity I would only ask that you try a competing product (that is lacking in some ways). download a youtube mp4 and watch it play back full screen instantly with no conversion.

I hate to mention competitors on these boards but it only makes products better.

Using a proprietary codec is not a solution as a media server. Again, maybe in the VJ world, but I don't know this world. But I do know that there IS a market for a product that does what resolume 4 does that can play all direct show codecs.

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve,

I don't come from the VJ world and like you people turn up with all sorts of files. I have tried software that plays multiple codecs and after having playback that is not smooth or crashes the system due to the codec I have reverted to being more choosy and specifying the format and codec that works best.

While some systems say they will play lots of formats they usually only a have a couple of formats that work well, also installing codec packs on your computer is a guaranteed way of messing it up.

What I normally say now days is that if they want to guarantee the video gets played and smoothly then I want to receive the video in a certain format with a specific codec - or get it to me with enough time to convert.
If they can't do that then the risk is on them as to whether the video plays. Of course I will try my hardest to get it sorted for them (unless they are repeat offenders).

It would be nice if Resolume had a system where it converted all your files as per Hippotiser but finding a good batch converter and getting the content in time to check it is vital.

Tim

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

i would respectfully suggest that if playback of a 1/2 million dollar film is one of your priorities, then you might want to spend more than 600 euros on the delivery / playback method.

much like any software solution, avenue has its requirements, that if you stay within, you will have a lovely stable system. once you start to go beyond that point and introduce too many variables ~( ie different codecs ) then it all becomes a little bit harder for the system to cope and perform well.

( im a Hippotiser and Addict / AI user as well as an Avenue user )

Avenue is ( imo ) unbeataable for the price ( and is realy starting to be a serious contendor to more serious media servers )- to improve on it you realy do need to spend many times more than the cost of Avenue

stevespaw

Post by stevespaw »

I am not trying to play a bunch of goofy codecs but mainstream professional codecs. Look at my list above. I am not looking to "VJ". I need a multi-screen playback product that can play content on demand. Resolume 4 seems to have most of the technology that I am looking for, that is what makes me excited to see/play with it.
BTW , can I not play an mp3 file ?? Seems pretty basic to me.

Thanks for the replies,
Steve

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hi Steve

We understand the need for a workflow that leaves room for last minute additions to the playlist and as little conversion time as possible. However, Resolume has its roots in a field where often shows are either pre-produced, or improvised on the spot using pre-produced material. In these cases working with DXV as a codec is not a problem, and the best solution for stability and performance.

We do want to implement support for other codecs, both at the consumer and production level, but unfortunately since many of these codecs are not meant for manipulation in real time, adding support for any one codec requires a disproportionate amount of work for development and testing. Our current focus lies on getting the current Resolume 4 up and running to its maximum efficiency, after that we can look into improving it, and I'll gladly add support for the codecs you mention to the request list.

I hope that explains our standpoint in this.

Joris