Random on BPM Sync biased toward end (Arena)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Sadler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Random on BPM Sync biased toward end (Arena)

Post by Sadler »

Playing any clip of any length that is set up with BPM sync and put into random mode for that "instant break or remix", creeps forwards along the clip until it rattles around in the final few beats.

Longer clips take longer to get to the end but they do eventually.

It is most obvious in one of my clips which has a square travelling horizontally left to right then top to bottom. Three of these clips played together in random mode end up very friendly in the bottom corner of the frame.

Arena B1, Core i5, Win 7, mobility radeon hd 5470.

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Random on BPM Sync biased toward end (Arena)

Post by VJair »

might be better to test beta 2?

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Absolutely correct. Tried Avenue and Arena B2 with similar results.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Interestingly enough, in all our tests, it drifts to the front of the clip. Either way, this is the nature of the beast. A random walk behaviour will drift in a certain direction after any amount of time. Would looping the clip when it reaches the end be a solution for you?

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I did try all the playback modes including looping the clip. But since BMP Sync random mode plays whole beats I've never seen it actually get to the end to loop (it least it never has looped). In any case, looping wouldn't be satisfactory in the long run since I want my flashing squares all over the frame and instead they all move together down to the bottom right and looping would just cause them to repeat that.

Interesting that your's walks that way - perhaps there's a random seed that dictates the direction? I don't mind that a random walk drifts in any direction over time but when it consistently goes from start to end in 60 beats it is very obvious.

I hear that Apple had to frig the random behaviour on their iPods to make it feel more random because users were complaining about the genuinely random algorithm.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Random on computers not actually being random remains one of the more interesting things to me since I first came across it while programming Basic back in the eighties ;-)

Anyway, it's on our radar and we'll take a look at how we can make it more random. Or less random :D