Helping OSC make sense - a communications window

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
noiseismyart
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Helping OSC make sense - a communications window

Post by noiseismyart »

I am active user of OSC in many of my applications but none of them have I had an issue like attempting to use resolume. I am using the correct address, port, and messages but am having no luck getting the values to change. I am using a midi controller ran through osculator where I redefine the messages to be as done in the manual. However - I have no idea if my osc messages are even reaching this computer. I've successfully received outgoing OSC in osculator from resolume but have found no way to send it back. A communications window showing incoming osc messages would be able to better help us fine tune the way our OSC is working with resolume so we can ensure we're using the proper outgoing messages and they are incoming properly. Otherwise it is just a shot in the dark with resolume. I really enjoy working with this product but until I can get through the hassle of the OSC setup I will not be using it and that upsets me.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Helping OSC make sense - a communications window

Post by Joris »

This can indeed be problematic, and we've been tossing around an idea for exactly such a window recently. It could also be used to check for incoming and outgoing midi, DMX, audio for FFT or SMPTE etc.

In the meantime, the VVOSC test app is a great help for debugging OSC problems: http://code.google.com/p/vvopensource/downloads/list

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Helping OSC make sense - a communications window

Post by VJair »

goto10 wrote:This can indeed be problematic, and we've been tossing around an idea for exactly such a window recently. It could also be used to check for incoming and outgoing midi, DMX, audio for FFT or SMPTE etc.
this would be a very usefull addition!