Multiple camera setup in a dark venue.

Bro, does your rig even lift?
PSneep
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Multiple camera setup in a dark venue.

Post by PSneep »

Hiya! First post after lurking around for a while, here goes!

I'm planning on installing two camera's in a venue so a VJ can put either the crowd or the band in the spotlight on a big screen, using Resolume for some visual effects. However, it seems quite difficult to get a clear view of the crowd when it's dark and I'm trying to find out what camera's to use. Budget is kinda low, so I've set my sights on keeping it simple and try to find a few camera's which I can hook up directly to a MacBook 15". For now, this option has caught my eye:

2x Logitech C910 HD webcam. http://www.logitech.com/nl-nl/webcam-co ... vices/6816
These use USB ports, so they keep things simple and low budget. From what I've seen on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vWzTCCeJGM it works decent in the dark and the auto-zoom function could be helpful. On the downside, getting enough range on the USB cables might be a problem and well.. a webcam is a webcam. I don't expect much depth unless someone can prove otherwise.

So could someone help me out a little? Any tips, suggestions, solutions and options would be very welcome!

yugpmoc
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Multiple camera setup in a dark venue.

Post by yugpmoc »

I'm looking for the same. I'm seriously considering taking a chance on the x10 sentinal. It has remote pan, tilt, and an optical zoom. It's capable of wireless and wired video, but only outputs NTSC. The non x10 reviews rate it mediocre, but hopefully when the stage spots are on it will be sensitive enough.

Anyone else have a solution? I've got a Canon AX10 on backorder, but it seems indefinitely delayed and it's freaking expensive too.

I just got the Logitech 910, so far it's worked once, and it's sensitivity was not satisfying at all, except that the input did stretch nicely across the three screen setup I was running. My iPhone 3gs shot better video that night. It may be a configuration / setup thing. I was pointing back at the stage and it did capture the screens well. The crowd however was just a black blur. Perhaps a higher location pointing down at the dance floor without any bright stuff in frame would help. I'll try that next.

gsbe
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by gsbe »

I currently have a number of Logitech webcams plugged into a Macbook Pro through a powered USB hub. Resolume 4 is only able to access one camera per session. Although multiple sources will appear as inputs and can be dragged to unique clip slots the program seems to activate only one.

Any help with that? Work arounds? How do you get multiple live cameras into Resolume?

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

forget the web cam's there for kids, use security camera's. A good PTZ camera in a dome right on the front of the stage, especially if you can pan a full 360 will get you your DJ ego shot, and your raver kiddie front row shot.

these can be had in full HD, but if budget is a concern then stick with SD.

gsbe

Post by gsbe »

Ok, that's fine. I have a few remotely controllable cameras that output SD and S-video.

BUT my main question is how can I get multiple live camera inputs into Resolume 4? What hardware works with multiple inputs?
Stickygreen wrote:forget the web cam's there for kids, use security camera's. A good PTZ camera in a dome right on the front of the stage, especially if you can pan a full 360 will get you your DJ ego shot, and your raver kiddie front row shot.

these can be had in full HD, but if budget is a concern then stick with SD.

djpnur

Post by djpnur »

gsbe wrote:I currently have a number of Logitech webcams plugged into a Macbook Pro through a powered USB hub. Resolume 4 is only able to access one camera per session. Although multiple sources will appear as inputs and can be dragged to unique clip slots the program seems to activate only one.

Any help with that? Work arounds? How do you get multiple live cameras into Resolume?

I would also like to see if someone has an answer for this??

Need Resolume to recognize 2nd camera :)

the_psychologist

Post by the_psychologist »

any progress on this front? cheerz

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

If you want to work with multiple camera inputs reliably, we recommend using a desktop computer with two or more BlackMagic Intensity Pro cards installed.

Lupavision

Post by Lupavision »

Because a MacBook Pro can only accept 1 USB camera at a time (limited bandwidth through USB ports), I am using a firewire device (old mini dv cam) as well as a USB camera. My usb camera is a PS3 eye which is excellent in low light.
I'm also looking into using wireless cameras. Anyone have any good advice on this?

gsbe

Post by gsbe »

Thanks for posting your setup. It's nice to know of camera options that work with osx and resolume. I wasn't familiar with the PS3 Eye but that looks like a pretty good deal. How does it do with long distances, say for example if you're 30-40' away from the stage? Do you have any examples this little USB camera in action with resolume?

I don't have any experience with wireless cameras but would def be interested in that info, too. I've used the Firewire out of an old Canon XL1 into resolume 4 successfully. I'd love to be able to get more signals in - ultimately I'd love to have multiple iOS devices with cameras transmitting wirelessly to an installation of resolume - is this possible?
Lupavision wrote:Because a MacBook Pro can only accept 1 USB camera at a time (limited bandwidth through USB ports), I am using a firewire device (old mini dv cam) as well as a USB camera. My usb camera is a PS3 eye which is excellent in low light.
I'm also looking into using wireless cameras. Anyone have any good advice on this?